Things you would take out of the game

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I am sure there's some rules in Baseball you don't agree with. I was wondering what are some things you take out of the game? And the reason why you chose those specefic things.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

The DH rule really needs to be dealt with. This whole thing is silly, why can't they agree on a universal rule?

3. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I agree with Merc. As far as major leagues, I'm sick of the benefit of the doubt. There are a lot of times where the runner is safe (either a missed tag or a foot pulled off) but since it's a bang-bang play, the defense gets the benefit of the doubt.

You see it even more in college, there are very few umpires that truly look at tags. It's refreshing when they do, and makes the game a lot more skillfull, difficult, and intense. (As a player)

Another, atleast in NAIA, is the rule that you have to slide directly into second, and you can't slide over it. It's to prevent people from spiking short-stops/second basemen in an attempt to break up the double play, but it leads to alot of injuries. You have to time your slide perfectly otherwise you're destroying your ankle or your knee. It's more dangerouse now than it was before. If you're running fast, it's almost inevidable that you're going to slide over the bag. It's a bad rule, and even the NCAA has gotten rid of it, in the past 5 years.

4. Babe_Ruth

I disagree with you on both rules, the DH should stay, but should be applied by the two leagues and not just one.

Sliding to second base is very dangerous, because a lot of people will try to break up the double play like you said, but I don't agree with you making rule like when you go to first base, because you'll never know if the player is trying to go to third or not, and he'll use that as an excuse if he called out. So I think that rule would cause to many problems.

If I had to take out a rule it's the All Star game rule, where the winner of the All Star has home field advantage, I think that rule is just ridiculous, they say it makes the game more competetive, but I disagree, the team that has the better record should have home field advantage.

5. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

The DH rule I think should stick. It's a way to have big top hitters in the lineup and really give them a chance to play the game if they can not be fast enough or skilled enough to be in the field. I think thats a good rule but the AL sorta has the advantage with them I think it should be a rule in both leagues.

The all star game rule as well should go. I mean I think that its great we have some competition but say the NL wins and a team that goes 100-60 in the regular season in the AL faces a team that goes 60-100 in the NL. The NL would have home field advantage and that would be a little biased based on the skill of the overall NL team.

6. blenderboy55

blenderboy55 Guest

I tihnk baseball should move back to being a pitchers game instead of glorifying the homerun.

7. TDG1987

TDG1987 Registered Member

I think that more teams should be in the playoffs, either 6 in each league with 1st round byes to the top 2 teams in each league or 8 in each league. Think about a team that plays well over an 162 game season, wins 94 games and misses the playoffs. I think if anything, it proves they're more deserving of a playoff berth than a low seed in hockey, basketball, or football who play far less games. Three teams from the NFC East in football made the playoffs this year so why can't the same deal be a possibilty in MLB? A team like the Phillies got screwed over because they didn't play in a weak division like the Cardinals (and no, this has nothing to do with St. Louis beating Detroit in the WS).

Another thing I would do is continue interleague play but make every team play every other team at least once during the season. There's no good reason why that shouldn't happen when MLB plays twice as many games as the NBA and NHL, leagues that have that type of scheduling.

Baseball purists may shudder at these propositions but I say fuck 'em all. I'm sick and tired off all these ppl who are stuck in their old-school ways and aren't willing to take a chance and make changes that could benefit the sport. I could rant on and on about the purity and integrity of the game and unwritten rules and the like but that's for another day.

8. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

I think something needs to be done about the way the divsions are made up. I mean for teams like Oakland and Seattle they just have to have a winning record basically and they will be in but say for a team like the Jays they need to compete with teams like the Red Socks and the Yankee's and then if they can't go far in that then they need the wildcard. It's diffucult for sure to get out of that divsion and I think it needs to change.

Another thing that I think needs to go would be the colliding at home plate. It's going to get really bad for a player one day and then they will really think about how they could have done something to stop it. I mean its not happening as frequently but none the less it is a dangerous part of a great sport and I don't want something like baseball to have a bad injury due to a stupid sliding at home plate.

9. Babe_Ruth

I agree that more teams should be allowed to make the Playoffs, and 6 is a great number. I wouldn't put more teams because a low of amount of teams is what makes the MLB playoffs so exciting, because the level of talent that makes the playoffs is incredible. Which makes it more competetive.

Another rule I would change would be the lenght of Spring Training. I would shorten it. Baseball players are training all year round now a days, and it's rare that a player will show up out of shape during Spring Training. So I would start like 2-3 weeks later and end it at the same time.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

That's just unfortunate, that's not something that needs to be changed. I think having the Sox and the Yankees in the same division (while unfair to other good teams at the moment in the same division) is great for baseball. It's simply unfortunate that some teams are only decent and surrounded by crap teams. The divisions can be changed, but eventually this will happen again because some teams will suck and others will rise to greatness.

Well, I kind of like this actually. It reinforces the image of the catcher as a real leader and a backbone of the team. If he can't take a hit and maintain control (in any aspect, not just home plate collisions), his team will not succeed. I do agree that the injury potential is frightening, but there's also frightening potential simply as a batter against a new and possibly wild pitcher.