Thief

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Ok... so I let my buddy move in last month because we have the extra room and he was tight on cash. I figured I was being a good friend and would let him have the basement to himself. Well last week he went to go sell some ring of his and got some money for it because he was short on cash again, nothing serious or so I thought. My wife told me tonight her diamond necklace I got her for X-mas is missing, and it has been since my buddy told me he pawned off his ring... I put two and two together. I haven't said anything to my friend, I don't want to accuse him of anything and be too hasty, but we have searched EVERYWHERE for it. My wife isn't the kind to loose things, especially diamond necklaces. When she says she put something somewhere, she means it. I need ideas on how to get info from him with out accusing him. I need him to feel that I don't know anything, but still get information. Cuz hes the kind of guy that knows once he's caught, he shuts off and won't say a word. Ideas?

KZA_GFX

Registered Member
go to the pawn shop and try to find it or find the recipt i dont know thats just what i would do

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Leave something valuable (not too valuable), or some cash out on a table or desk.

Leave it for a good week or so so he thinks you forgot about it. See if it disappears?

Hopefully it doesn't but if it does then who knows what else he's been taking while he's been there.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Two things:

Leave a nice, but fake, piece of jewelry laying around but not obviously laying around.

Tell your buddy you have something to pawn (have an old gun or something?) and ask him what shop he used to get rid of his ring.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
The only thing you can do is take him to small claims court with proof.

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I was going to say the same thing that Andrew said. This has happend to us once. We let a friend stay at our place for awhile until he can get back on his feet. One day he told my dad that he saw me steal some money from his wallet which wasn't true and my dad confronted me telling me to give the guy his money back and I told my dad I never stole any money from that guy.

One late night, the cops came to our door and delivered some bad news to us. They said my brother's name and informed us that my brother died in a car accident. My dad was like how is that possible? My son is in his room sleeping so my dad went to my brother's room and sure enough, my brother was sleeping in his room. It turns out that guy was stealing our mail too and the cops found our mail in his car.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
One late night, the cops came to our door and delivered some bad news to us. They said my brother's name and informed us that my brother died in a car accident. My dad was like how is that possible? My son is in his room sleeping so my dad went to my brother's room and sure enough, my brother was sleeping in his room. It turns out that guy was stealing our mail too and the cops found our mail in his car.
Whoaaa.. dude.. So this guy that was staying with you got killed in a car accident and they confused him for your brother? :-o That's crazy. Sorry to hear he got killed but at least your brother was alright. Talk about a massive mixup.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I would confront him and without directly accusing him let him be fully aware of your suspicion.

Pull him aside and come straight out with it;
"some jewellery has gone missing, do you know anything about it?"
-that is all you have to say, nothing more, its all the information you need to give as well. If he has half a brain he will be aware he is a suspect.

You will know within 5 seconds if he is guilty or not by his reaction, see if he gets anxious, look for the tell tale signs of a person fibbing or trying to hide something. Don't give him unnecessary information, say jewellery not necklace etc.. give him plenty of room to fall.

If you decide he is guilty from his response, then bullshit him; your a security conscious guy give him the impression that you KNOW it was him and that any denial wont work. Even throw in a few red herrings and say the necklace was worth $3000 instead of $300, watch his face drop as he realizes that he has messed up and been conned by the pawn shop.

By confronting him you are giving him the chance to prove his innocence but if he is guilt then the cat is out the bag.

Don't feel awkward in confronting him, turn the tables and imagine it were you being a suspect of a theft, you would at least want to be aware of the situation and have a chance to rectify, justify or defend yourself.

As for the $300 necklace, if he is guilty then ask for it back, tell him that it holds sentimental value and ask for the ticket so that you can buy it back (I know its him who should be buying it back..but hey...why make a bad situation worse by you buying it back it is an escape route for him out of this mess), make him feel guilty and that its more than just a necklace but your memories and sentiment and also your trust and friendship that has been stolen.

Last edited: