Thief sent 'sorry' letter to shop

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"

The owner of an Indian food store in Bristol has received a apology letter and £100 from a former drug addict who stole cigarettes from the shop in 2001.
Imran Ahmed, 27, who runs Raja Foods in St Marks Road, Easton, said he was stunned to open the remorseful letter.
It begins: "Dear Sirs, I am writing this letter to make amends to you for something I have done in the past."
Mr Ahmed said the thief's change of heart was "really good" and he intends to give the money to a drugs' charity.
The thief's letter continues: "About seven years ago I was walking past your shop late one night when I noticed that someone had broken into it.
Make amends
"I used this opportunity to enter your shop where I stole 400 cigarettes. The money enclosed (£100) is to pay for those cigarettes which I stole from you.
"At that time I was heavily using drugs and my life was in a mess, now I no longer use drugs and I strive to lead a decent and honest life.
"As part of my ongoing recovery I try to put right all of the wrongs I have done in the past, at least where I can, and this is why I am giving you back the money which I stole from you.
"I regret the harm I caused you in the past and I sincerely apologise to you for it. "I was very wrong to do this and I hope that returning the money will make up for this harm, at least in some small way."

Story from BBC news:
It's not the first time I heard such a story. I remember locally, their was German Tourist, he was stranded here with no money, food etc for whatever reason, I don't know, but he broke into a shop, stole some food and supplies, and left a note for the Shop-Keeper to explain his how and why he did it.
It went to Court [the Shop Keeper had to report it for insurance, and the Police had a duty to prosecute], the Courts heard that the Shop Keeper was symathetic to the mans plea. 'I think' if I remember right, he got off with Community Service and was 'sent' home.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Its nice when people make amends.

There was a scam similar to this in the 80s:
A person would have their car stolen from outside the house. A few days later the car would reappear with a note saying "Sorry I stole your car, I desperatly needed to get to the hospital with my pregnant wife. I apologize please accept these concert tickets and £50 spending money".

The night of the concert the house gets burgarled!:shake:

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
Its nice when people make amends.

There was a scam similar to this in the 80s:
A person would have their car stolen from outside the house. A few days later the car would reappear with a note saying "Sorry I stole your car, I desperatly needed to get to the hospital with my pregnant wife. I apologize please accept these concert tickets and £50 spending money".

The night of the concert the house gets burgarled!:shake:

That's quite a scam.
It reminds of the one when a lady calls at someones door, asks to use the phone because her car broke-down, and she needs to be somewhere in a hurry, or was meant to be there. She phones the person from the house, it's usually her husband or boss, she has a real conversation on the phone for about 5 minutes, thanks the host, and she leaves.

Later, the host gets his or her phone-bill, 'her call' cost £50 [$100 U.S] per minute. The scam being that she had her own private premium rate phone-number with her own charges. It was a friend that told me about the scam, the Police were doing door-to-door calls warning people that such schemers were operating in the area.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I think it is kinda neat that this happened. I am not sure if I feel that the crime wasn't as bad because someone had already broken in to the place lol.

The scams everyone is talking about reminds me of the scams going on around my old town where people were breaking into the family's house when a loved one passed away while they were at the funeral or the wake... That too me is the worst thing ever.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I don't think that the store owner cares much about the money as it happened ages ago, but the good thing out of this story comes out that the robber is actually pretty generous and very nice to make a amend like this and the store owner reacted well to this, donating the money to the charity.

I've got to say that you don't see this everyday.