These birds made a home on my balcony

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by AnitaKnapp, Aug 17, 2010.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

There is a momma bird, and 2 babies. I could only get one in the shot because of the angle. I couldn't get any closer because I was already making momma bird really mad.

This is in a flower basket from last year that I never redid this past spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably one of the cutest things I have ever seen. It kind of really makes me want to put out a birdhouse on the patio of my new place, when I move.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

That's very cute and sweet. <3

3. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

Awwww That is really awesome! I would love to be able to see that every day.

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I love the mom's "GTFO of my house" look.

5. AnitaKnapp

Every time I would get a little close, she would raise her wings up like she was going to peck me to death...but it was so precious that I had to take a picture.

6. konboye

konboye Registered Member

If I were you I would let them be, birds on your roof brings goodluck. The same thing if they drop on your car.

7. AnitaKnapp

I am leaving them be. I just wanted to take a picture.

I'm kind of sad about what will probably happen when I move out next friday, though. :(

8. AnitaKnapp

In all the rush of moving out and getting settled, then getting sick, I forgot to update.

I am happy to announce that on the day of my move, the birds left the nest. I named one of the babies Melvin, and he actually let me get really close to him. I talked to him for about 10 minutes until the movers arrived. I think he was gathering his courage to fly off. He had somehow left the nest, but only got as far as the railing on the balcony.

[​IMG]

But really. I was amazed at how close this bird let me get to him. I stretched my hand out within a foot of him, and he let me. I was afraid to do anymore. I didn't want him to be anxious.

By the time the movers had moved about half of my things, Melvin had flown off. I checked down below to make sure he didn't fall.

9. Puck

Puck Registered Member

I just saw this thread, so cute!

We have birds and chipmunks in our backyard. In the summer, they like to take up home in the gazebo. So cute.

10. AnitaKnapp

Oh also, that is my car in the pic.

I enjoyed Melvin and his mom and bro/sis so much that I am planning on getting a birdhouse to put out on my balcony. Someone who is vying for my affections is insisting on building me one :\ I am unsure of whether I am happy about this, as I am very picky with my tastes.