There's hope for the US

Discussion in 'Football / Soccer' started by ysabel, Jun 14, 2010.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Like I mentioned in some of the threads here, one of the reasons why I want USA to place well on the World Cup is to promote the sports in the country.

The result is optimistic:

USA VS ENGLAND ONE OF ABC’S MOST WATCHED SOCCER GAMES EVER | Soccer Jones | Football and Soccer News, Gossip and Analysis

The USA vs. England audience drew more viewers than Game Four of the NBA Finals and more than doubled the final match of the Stanley Cup.

It ranks 5th on the most watched soccer games in the US (3 of those were WC Finals game).

:hyper:
    ------
    I'm not as surprised that it outranked hockey but I didn't expect it would draw more audience than basketball especially at a finals phase.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Not surprised that it did better then hockey either, but I'm extremely surprised it beat an NBA Finals game between the Celtics and Lakers. That's a good step in the right direction, but there's still long ways to go, and I'm sure Echoes can attest to that notion.

After the World Cup is finish, it should be interesting to see if the MLS will get better ratings. If they do, then it proved that the World Cup had an impact on Americans watching soccer.

3. Unity

Unity Chett Chetterfield Staff Member

It's had an impact on me somewhat...I mean my motto for years was "I hate soccer." I gave it a chance this year, and I'm definitely enjoying it. Still, there's not much for us to watch after the Cup, unless MLS becomes a ton more prominent.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

ugh...

its no surprise to me really. All the networks have been cramming it down our damn throats all week. I've literally stopped watching TV, listening to Radio, and clicking articles because of all the damn world cup news thats going on.

I... dont... care...

cant wait 'till its over.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Yeah, the biggest surprise for me isn't necessarily that it beat an NBA Finals game, it's that it beat an NBA Finals game between the Lakers and Celtics. But this is the World Cup, not the MLS. The MLS has a really long way to go in terms of popularity and TV ratings. The MLS only has a small niche following, even among American soccer fans. I think most soccer fans in America are more interested in the English Premier League and Champions League.

English Premier League and Champions League. If you have Fox Soccer Channel you can watch a lot of the games. The players are a lot better than in the MLS, and the games are typically more entertaining than the cautious, low-scoring World Cup games.

Millz likes this.
  6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I hope they're not like icegoat! haha

You're right. I hope it does and the transfers of big names to US teams will help too.

One month, ice. And if US win their games, the buzz will just get worse. If that happens...resistance is futile. :hah: <--- totally used that for you

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

See thats the thing... Even my town has its own Soccer Team.

( The Fresno Fuego )

Nobody gives a crap about them, last time I read about them in the Fresno Bee they were excited to have 5,000 people show up (to a stadium that holds 13,000).

It just kinda sickened me the other night when Kim and I went to dinner a couple weeks back. The Chicago Blackhawks were making their push for the Stanley cup of the National Hockey League... NHL PLAYOFFS for craps sake... and whats on the TV at the Restaurant? You guessed it, some form of Soccer that I could care less about.

I get it... Hockey isnt mainstream. But come on! It was probably a means nothing Game of Soccer vs. Stanley Cup Playoffs...

I've watched Soccer... I've attempted to enjoy it with Friends that do, I've attempted to enjoy it whilst being under the influence.... I always go back to the same thing "and you guys call Hockey Boring?"

oh is that out of line? Here let me pull my own card like a 2nd grader....[​IMG]

8. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

I echo (haha?) Echoes sentiments that its the Lakers and Celtics this game beat...that's a huge deal. That's the biggest rivalry the NBA has to offer. I mean its Kobe frickin Bryant!

I view it as a good sign and hopefully means the sport with grow more and more in the USA. Maybe some of those athletes who usually pick football, baseball and basketball will pick soccer. That would be so awesome.

I am a huge hockey fan but I was more excited about England/USA then I was for ANY of the playoff hockey games this year.

9. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I found myself more up for the England/USA game than for any playoff hockey game and it confused me:p I've always preferred hockey over soccer.

I found it very surprising it beat the Lakers/Celtics game, I mean I saw both but if I had to choose I'd choose the Celtics game hands down.

10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Let's see if the 7th game nba finals will have more viewers. :)

And maybe all this hype about the well-viewed ENG-USA game will just increase viewers for the next game on Friday (?).

@ice: I'm thinking while the Stanley cup is also prestigious and in its final stage, a lot of people probably couldn't relate as much to it unless you live in Chicago. It's easier for people to identify with and cheer for a US soccer match because the team there is representing the entire country.