theory of evolution in america

Firzen

Registered Member
When i read a small part of a article in a news magazine, i laughed quietly and was suprised, too. There was a poll from 2006 in 36 countries about how the population things about the theory of evolution. The more people things that the ToE (theory of evolution) is wrong the lower the ranking place. The last both places are Turkey (36) and America (35). If the magazin were not reliable, i would think about that as a joke.

Even so, i cannot believe that so easily. Tell me, is this true? Is that America? Do really think much persons that the ToE is wrong and something like the creation myth is more believable?

P.S.: i do not want to say that the ToE is completly true, but the bible is not an answer to this either.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Firzen, you're walking some dangerous ground here.

Neither you or I know whether or not evolution is true nor if God exists. That being said, why is it so funny that some people would rather believe in creationism? Also, creationism and evolution are not incompatible. More people are beginning to accept that God can exist alongside evolution. Your post is a bit elitist in it's assumption that believing in creation is laughable and thus, able to be ridiculed.

The USA has a population of 75,000,000 Evangelical Christians and that's just one group. Not all Christians ignore evolution or call it wrong, but this country has a high rate of belief in God. That's just how it is. What's wrong with that, Firzen?

Saucepan

Registered Member
With the sheer amount of right wing Christian believers in America it wouldn't surprise me to learn this is true. Those who take the Bible as a literal text simply can't believe in the theory of evolution as that would weaken the Bible's standpoint on the creation of the world, and possibly anything else it said.

The theory of evolution is just that a theory, and we have a lot of evidence to support it, a book, even a 2000 year old one, is not evidence that God created the universe and everything in it as is even if God claims to have written it (through others). I could just as easily claim fairies are real because it said so in the Enid Blyton "Book of Fairies".

Duke1985

EatsApplePieShitsFreedom
I'm a Christian and I prescribe the thought God created evolution.
Its like Cons said creationism and evolution aren't incompatible.

Firzen

Registered Member
could be true, but is unimportant in a discussion
Neither you or I know whether or not evolution is true nor if God exists. That being said, why is it so funny that some people would rather believe in creationism?
The laugh part was more my personal reaction than a subliminal offense.
My point is that creationism has no evidence aside from logic compared with (for exampel) evolution. And i said before: even evolution is just a theory.

Also, creationism and evolution are not incompatible. More people are beginning to accept that God can exist alongside evolution. Your post is a bit elitist in it's assumption that believing in creation is laughable and thus, able to be ridiculed.
Please read the content of the poll again. It was just a yes/no poll with the question whether evolution is right or wrong. If you say wrong, you cannot say that you think about a combination of evolution and creationism. The people, who said "wrong" have just the point of view evolution being wrong.

The USA has a population of 75,000,000 Evangelical Christians and that's just one group. Not all Christians ignore evolution or call it wrong, but this country has a high rate of belief in God. That's just how it is. What's wrong with that, Firzen?
I thinks it is wrong if politicians like Palin want creationism in school. Furthermore evolution and the belief in god are not contradictions anyway.

Last edited:

Gavik

Registered Member

Neither you or I know whether or not evolution is true nor if God exists.
Why is this dangerous ground? We're not debating the existence of god, we're talking about why creationism is so popular in America.

That being said, why is it so funny that some people would rather believe in creationism?
I would find it a bit ironic that the most powerful nation in the world is also one of the most fundamentalist. Doesn't comment on the validity of anything though.

Also, creationism and evolution are not incompatible.
P.S.: i do not want to say that the ToE is completly true, but the bible is not an answer to this either.
More people are beginning to accept that God can exist alongside evolution.
Evidence of this?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Why is this dangerous ground? We're not debating the existence of god, we're talking about why creationism is so popular in America.
If you read my quote you have right there, you'd see that I called it dangerous because no one knows the truth and to speak as if he knows it already is just stupid.

I would find it a bit ironic that the most powerful nation in the world is also one of the most fundamentalist. Doesn't comment on the validity of anything though.
Why is it ironic? Granted I'd never want to be one of them, but why is it so ironic that this country has a lot of fundamentalists and power?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm a firm believer in Creationism and Evolution going hand in hand.

Think Big Bang Theory. What are the chances of that? Pretty outrageous if I recall correctly. So why not be able to credit chance to a higher power? I mean isnt that the theory, God works in mysterious ways? Well mysterious ways to me are just as likely described as chance or luck in tight situations.

To me Evolution is a no brainer. Evidence is everywhere for it and I dont feel there is much room to debate it. We can look at all of the creatures in the world and note their similarities and differences. Just like Darwin did with the birds on his famous island diaries. In order to survive the birds eventually had to evolve, some took to feeding from nectar thus devoloping the long beak and others moved to insects, thus developing a shorter beak. Yet beaks and stomach acid aside they'd pretty much be the same bird. Just one of many obvious cases of evolution.

I'm not a devout religous person by far, but I've got absolutely no quarrel in titling odd happenstances or other unbelievable circumstances as work from a higher power.

Wade8813

Registered Member
If the magazin were not reliable, i would think about that as a joke.

Even so, i cannot believe that so easily. Tell me, is this true? Is that America? Do really think much persons that the ToE is wrong and something like the creation myth is more believable?
Your laughing? Sure, that's your own reaction. Although the fact that you felt the need to tell us implies something more. But even ignoring that - when you say you think it's a joke, that you think creation is a myth, and say the Bible is not the answer, you're going to make some people mad.

Also, creationism and evolution are not incompatible.
God and Evolution are not incompatible, but many creation accounts do rule out Evolution. And theories about the origins of the universe, while not Evolution, are often lumped together with Evolution, and often rule out the possibility of God.

The theory of evolution is just that a theory, and we have a lot of evidence to support it, a book, even a 2000 year old one, is not evidence that God created the universe and everything in it as is even if God claims to have written it (through others). I could just as easily claim fairies are real because it said so in the Enid Blyton "Book of Fairies".
If the only evidence involved was "because a book says so" then you'd be right. But that's not the case.

Wade8813

Registered Member
To me Evolution is a no brainer. Evidence is everywhere for it and I dont feel there is much room to debate it. We can look at all of the creatures in the world and note their similarities and differences. Just like Darwin did with the birds on his famous island diaries. In order to survive the birds eventually had to evolve, some took to feeding from nectar thus devoloping the long beak and others moved to insects, thus developing a shorter beak. Yet beaks and stomach acid aside they'd pretty much be the same bird. Just one of many obvious cases of evolution.
I'm not saying that there isn't evidence for Evolution, but the evidence you cited was fairly flimsy. Just because things are similar, doesn't mean Evolution caused it. You gave the example of the birds (specifically finches) that have shorter or longer beaks, which according to Evolution, were selected for via Natural Selection. But they could have just as easily been created that way in the first place, to take advantage of different niches in an ecology.

Also, nobody debates that there's variance within species. Some people are tall, some are short, there's different colored hair, there's different skin color, etc. But we're all human. Just like the birds you mentioned are all finches. Macro-evolution (the debatable topic) would require finches evolving into a separate species entirely.

Last edited: