• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

'Theme' Games on Next Gen

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
How come none of the classic 'theme' games seem to have been introduced on next gen consoles?

I suppose the closest type of thing at the minute is The Sims type gaming, but that's still not quite the same as what I'm on about.
I remember playing a few of them and some were pretty good. Building your own theme park had an aspect of challenge to it, and the yet the games themselves were pretty relaxed affairs. Their never seemed to be anything to taxing about running the place you'd built.

The best type of this game I ever got my hands on was the dementedly fun 'Theme Hospital' in which you had to build a hospital, kit it out with X-Ray rooms and wards and try your best to cure all the patients. Seeing those little blokes puke in the corridors, and the odd one snatched by the Grim Reaper was for a while pretty damn hilarious, and the challenge aspect of actually making progress in the game was fantastic. Given that you had to work pretty quick to get all the 'necessary' facilities up and running in time, and also remember that you needed toilets in your building so patients didn't just shit in the corner.

Does anyone else have such fond memories of these games?
Do you reckon an introduction of this sort of game would find a decent audience on Next-Gen consoles?

Konshentz

Konshentz
The best type of this game I ever got my hands on was the dementedly fun 'Theme Hospital' in which you had to build a hospital, kit it out with X-Ray rooms and wards and try your best to cure all the patients.
I used to play that a lot with my brother & sister. Tons of fun memories with that. It's available for the PSN as a PS1 classic. I've thought about getting it. Pretty cheap.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Like Sim City or Roller Coaster Tycoon and that kind of stuff? They're usually way better on PC.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It's really hard to play sim games like that. The whole genre plays out better on PC because of the keyboard/mouse combination.

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah even if they did release games like that on any console I wouldn't buy them.

I was just playing RCT2 a few days ago (I found it after not knowing where it was for a long while), I remember specifically thinking about how happy I was that it was for PC and not for xbox or something.

Using the mouse and keyboard to play games like that is just so much easier, I wouldn't like playing with a controller at all for that kind of game.

Sim city is the same way, the PC version sold tons more than the nintendo version with good reason.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Sim city is the same way, the PC version sold tons more than the nintendo version with good reason.
I used to be addicted to that game! It was like the equivalent of my current Civ V addiction!

Impact

V.I.P.
I agree that it makes sense for them to be on PC. I used to spend hours playing Sim City. I was so excited to play the online classic version but it doesn't seem as good any more :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Video Games 0
ysabel Movies & TV 2
ysabel Video Games 6
dDave Video Games 6
dDave Video Games 10