• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Young & The Old

Dabs

Registered Member
I noticed something today, something I have noticed many times before, but today it made me think more.
I was curious to see if y'all ever seen something such as this.

When I was eating at a restaurant earlier, I watched some elderly people come and go. And I noticed most of the elderly people, probably in their 70s or early 80s even- they are old, slow to drive and slow to walk, but still able to get out and be a part of the world. These elders, mostly the gents, would go out of their way to interact with a baby.
At the booth beside me, there was a couple who had a baby boy that had just turned 1 year old. And I saw at least 3 elderly men, go out of their way, to speak to this baby.
They would giggle with the baby, coo at him, touch his hands, ask him "How are you doing today??"
They seem to be so interested in these little people. As I sat there, I wondered- what is going thru their minds?? (the elderly). Are they thinking of when they were children or when their children were babies??
Are they thinking of how old they are, and how long they have been on earth, and this baby is a new beginning??
It's a cycle I know. But it touched me as I sat there and watched all this take place. Nobody had to say a word, but you could see the delight in the old men's eyes, as they interacted with this baby.
It was bittersweet.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
\
They seem to be so interested in these little people. As I sat there, I wondered- what is going thru their minds?? (the elderly). Are they thinking of when they were children or when their children were babies??
Are they thinking of how old they are, and how long they have been on earth, and this baby is a new beginning??
They must have been thinking about their nephews and nieces. Elders usually say "Oh...I have a nephew/niece like your baby...and your baby reminds me of him/her ..."

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I noticed something today, something I have noticed many times before, but today it made me think more.
I was curious to see if y'all ever seen something such as this.

When I was eating at a restaurant earlier, I watched some elderly people come and go. And I noticed most of the elderly people, probably in their 70s or early 80s even- they are old, slow to drive and slow to walk, but still able to get out and be a part of the world. These elders, mostly the gents, would go out of their way to interact with a baby.
At the booth beside me, there was a couple who had a baby boy that had just turned 1 year old. And I saw at least 3 elderly men, go out of their way, to speak to this baby.
They would giggle with the baby, coo at him, touch his hands, ask him "How are you doing today??"
It's a cycle I know. But it touched me as I sat there and watched all this take place. Nobody had to say a word, but you could see the delight in the old men's eyes, as they interacted with this baby.
It was bittersweet.
I actually observed the same thing. Maybe they're reminiscing. Maybe it reminds them of the good times and not so much how old they are (although if it were, I might think of it when I'm old).