• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

XBOX Original The XBOX is only 3 years old!

Pianobone

Registered Member
Swinging back on topic here, I don't think it's too early to release the next Xbox console at all. I personally think that Microsoft is going to turn the tide in the console market here. Remember that a key feature of the Xbox was LIVE. Sony attempted some online play with Final Fantasy and some sports titles and Nintendo has Phantasy Star, but they were nowhere near as advanced in online play as Xbox LIVE.

Fast forward to today. Microsoft now has an entire console generation of online play under it's belt. Sony and Nintendo are ill-prepared, in my opinion, to compete with Xbox LIVE. The 360 is going to turn this around like nobody's business- especially for traditional PC gamers.

Why? Because the 360 will be fully USB compatable with Windows XP. And as we all know, (and the US Government tried to stop) Microsoft Windows OWNS The computer OS world with an iron fist. The Xbox 360's compatability with Windows is like pairing Wal-Mart with General Motors. You can't lose.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Those are some really good points. It's funny because as soon as XBOX LIVE came out, everyone tried to jump in on the online console gaming bandwagon. PS2 online was horrible (Yes I've tried it). They let 56k users go online... While this was a + to 56k users.. it was a horrible thing for broadband users. You could block 56k users from your games, but still. Serious gamers only please. Thank you very much.

Then there was the Game Cube. For who knows what reason, Nintendo has been talking about doing an online system since the N64, and they have yet to do it. The XBOX 360 will be the first console that will feature online play right from the start. As far as I'm concerned, the online features with XBOX LIVE are far superior to even most PC online setups.

You have cable users only.
You have headsets for 99% of the players.
You have a buddy list.
You have all the extra features that are nice but not required, but they are still there nonetheless for when you want them.

I've never played a PC game with good voice chat support. Since XBOX LIVE comes with a headset, everyone has one. With PC gaming, everyone for some reason is too cheap to buy one, thus, nobody has one, and you are forced to type.

The XBOX is one of the things that Microsoft has done right from the start. I didn't even know about Windows XP compatibility with the XBOX 360, but that sounds pretty cool nonetheless. I'll be interested in hearing more about how that's going to work. :)

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I think Sony will be the only one behind in the online console department. Unfortunatly, this is what I feared would happen to the console world. I never liked the fact that they were going online with consoles, it never went with the spirit of it for me. I hate the fact that my favorite franchise released an online-only game that I can't afford to play, bvut it's in line with the numbering (FF IX). I liked playing through them as they were released.

nman77

Registered Member
Online is realyl cool but I'm worried that because of it traditional single-player experiences as we know them will be gone forever, which would be a real shame.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Especially with several games being released as online only titles, such as CounterStrike.

I think single player will still have it's place though. It's an entirely different experience, and one that even people with online capabilities still enjoy. I'll play Half-Life or Half-Life 2 anyway, and those are completely single player. Single player with bots however.. those days are over. Multiplayer-wise I mean.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
nman77 said:
Online is realyl cool but I'm worried that because of it traditional single-player experiences as we know them will be gone forever, which would be a real shame.
Yeah, it seems like there are a lot less great singleplayer games than there used to be. Everything is focused around online play now. Eventually, young gamers probably won't even know what splitscreen multiplayer is.

Pianobone

Registered Member
That's an interesting point.

Back to the 360-XP compatability, from what I've read the 360 (hard drive models) will be like a fully functioning computer. You can store whatever you want on the thing. Now, not every file type will neseccarily be supported to run in the 360 OS, but you apparently can save and run/load jpgs, mp3s, mpegs, and all sorts of other media.

Also, remember how some Xbox games supported the nifty little soundtrack feature? You could rip an mp3 to the hard drive and then have it play during your game? Well, the 360 will support that feature in every game, according to Microsoft.

nman77

Registered Member
Putting it in every game is something they should have done right from the start. Imagine how awesome it would be in Halo to have custom soundtracks during matches.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I kinda like how there isn't any music in the Halo multiplayer. Makes it feel more real.