• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Writer's Hook

Dekzper

Registered Member
I've been doing a lot of reading (and some writing) and I'm curious. Every writer uses a "hook" to captivate the reader. What hooks have you developed? Do you paint it into the initial scene or the main character?

I've tried both and even placed the hook in both, in one story: Her clear eyes shone briefly, with each pulse of the searchlights, scanning the dark terrain; a faint blue, then yellow, then a deep hazel brown...
It made her appear to be the hunted and the changing eye colors gave some indication that she might not be entirely human (well, you'd have to read a little more to get that).
So, what hooks have you created? :)

dDave

V.I.P.
Yours looks like a decent hook.

As far as hooks I've personally created rather than just throw information out there I insert characters into the story (in the appropriate places) and the characters bring something new and unexpected (i.e. news, plans, problems, etc.)

I paint it into all of the characters, I like to have all of the characters play their own intricate and important role.

Dekzper

Registered Member
That's an excellent method you're using. Each new turn carrying the reader through the story. I like that idea. I've tried something similar but only in the re-writes - that's when I first discovered how useful new characters can be. Until then I had always had the bad habit of introducing too many characters too quickly, usually in the first chapter which (as we all know) is the most critical part of the book.
Thanx for the input!

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I only ever count on getting one paragraph to grab a reader, if not a single sentence. So I tend to try and avoid purple prose and go straight for something I figure has to make someone want to continue reading: "The dead cat'd been in my freezer for a week[.]" or "I'd never opened the box." Absurdity and mystery make for some solid attention-grabbers, as does anything visceral: sex, violence, drugs, death. Really, you can build an entire story around a good first line.

Beyond that, everything written should really be a hook. I figure, if you're not giving someone a reason to keep reading, you're doing it wrong.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Your manuscripts would def be a good read! When I started writing (around 11 yo) I couldn't get someone to read past the first paragraph. I was being encouraged because of the scenes I could paint but it wasn't until I talked with a publisher that I discovered the need for hooks. I think one of my best was in chapter 17, of one of my books, where I staged an attack by a vicious mutated dog. The guy being attacked punched the dog in the throat, tore it's head off, and took a bite out of the dog's head. Well, people don't drop my work as easily now, lol.
But I really need to bring winning hooks in a lot earlier than mid-book.
Thanx for the input! If you guyz have any more views, I'm all ears.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mirage Movies & TV 3
Unity Music 3
dDave Art & Creative 6
Mirage Art & Creative 21
Henskie Reading 6