The Word "Jewish"

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I've always wondered and speculated what other people first think of when they encounter the word in text or if someone mentions that so-and-so is Jewish.
I mean, do you imagine a big fat guy with large nose and dark hair? Or does no particular image/thought come to mind?
I'm intrigued to know your thoughts.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
Don't laugh but the very first thing I think of when I hear the word, "Jewish" is Will and Grace and spinning a Dreidel.
...When I was younger, my parents were very good friends with a Jewish couple that had children and every year their kids gave me a Dreidel as a gift. :)

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Don't laugh but the very first thing I think of when I hear the word, "Jewish" is Will and Grace and spinning a Dreidel.
...When I was younger, my parents were very good friends with a Jewish couple that had children and every year their kids gave me a Dreidel as a gift. :)
I've never seen Will & Grace - do fill me in with that.

The dreidel is a very Jewish symbol, and with your explanation it would make sense that, that is what you'd think of. :)

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
I've never seen Will & Grace - do fill me in with that.

The dreidel is a very Jewish symbol, and with your explanation it would make sense that, that is what you'd think of. :)
Will & Grace was a sitcom about 2 gay men and 2 straight women (one in which was questionable: (my favorite charachter, Karen Walker) as she was flirtatious with women but married to a fat man named, "Stan") anyway, most of the cast (if not all of them?) were Jewish and very funny.

Here's a clip of bits and pieces of Season 6:

YouTube - Best moments of Will and Grace season 6

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't really have any mental images associated with the word. If I do think of a mental image (like if someone's telling a story, and I'm trying to picture it), I usually think of a rather generic person, but with brown hair instead of any other colors, and it's more likely to be curly hair.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
You know at first glimpse when I saw this thread I thought you were talking in reference to the phrase "Jewish". Lately that seems to be one of those Hot things among younger generations. Calling eachother Jewish or calling a situation Jewish. Much like the same issue with calling things "Gay"... I dont believe those who wield the phrase understand the impact it has upon those who actually fall into the category.

When I hear the word Jewish the first thing I think of is the Blue and White Flag with the Star of David in the middle. Nothing else really... I cant say I've ever been around any Jewish people in the past so I have no stereotypical slot for them.

If someone told me "Hey theres this guy I want you to meet" and the only detail they gave me was that he's Jewish... I think I'd imagine something like Jeff Goldblum.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
First thing I think of? A cheapskate, most likely due to the rampant popularity of the stereotype.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Another thing that comes to mind with the word Jewish is a recollection of a view, a single snapshot and one very few memories from many years ago and Ive been searching for the right perspective but its not disimilar to this....

...Is the dividing wall at the front a new edition?

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
and it's more likely to be curly hair.
That's interesting. :) Can you explain why curly?
If someone told me "Hey theres this guy I want you to meet" and the only detail they gave me was that he's Jewish... I think I'd imagine something like Jeff Goldblum.
Yeah, he kinda fits the right image, doesn't he?

Another thing that comes to mind with the word Jewish is a recollection of a view, a single snapshot and one very few memories from many years ago and Ive been searching for the right perspective but its not disimilar to this....

...Is the dividing wall at the front a new edition?
That is a very good image :)
The partition is a new addition. I guess to make a clear cut surrounding for the praying area.