• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Weird History of Corn Flakes

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Kellogg’s corn flakes have been a breakfast staple in American grocery stores for well over 100 years. But many corn flake fans may not know its inventor created the product for "healthy, ready-to-eat anti-masturbatory morning meals."
What Do Kellogg's Corn Flakes And Masturbation Have In Common?

Dr John Kellogg, however, took the Adventist faith in the purity of the body to an even further extreme. He was firmly convinced that sex itself was impure and harmful--and most especially the "solitary vice", the "self-pollution" of masturbation. Kellogg married, but never consummated the union--he and his wife had separate bedrooms, and they adopted all their children.
The Strange History of Corn Flakes

I'm just amazed how something like corn flakes was invented by one so weird. Of course at one time they had many odd ideas about sexuality but this man never consummated his marriage so even for his time he was crazy. Good thing not everyone thought like him. However eating corn flakes wasn't the worst thing he did to keep people from masturbating. Some things sounded quite painful.

I'll never touch corn flakes again.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's crazy. I definitely had never heard that before. Talk about a conversation starter next time I see somebody eating corn flakes! :D

Impaired

Registered Member
The Road to Wellville was excellent, I thought.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would like to see The Road to Wellville. Will be something I'll be watching for.