• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Way

Enthusiast

1 Corinthians 2 Amplified Bible (AMP)

2 As for myself, brethren, when I came to you, I did not come proclaiming to you the testimony and evidence or [a]mystery and secret of God [concerning what He has done through Christ for the salvation of men] in lofty words of eloquence or human philosophy and wisdom;

2 For I resolved to know nothing (to be acquainted with nothing, to make a display of the knowledge of nothing, and to be conscious of nothing) among you except Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and Him crucified. // Whoever calls on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ will be saved //

3 And I was in (passed into a state of) weakness and fear (dread) and great trembling [[c]after I had come] among you.

4 And my language and my message were not set forth in persuasive (enticing and plausible) words of wisdom, but they were in demonstration of the [Holy] Spirit and power [[d]a proof by the Spirit and power of God, operating on me and stirring in the minds of my hearers the most holy emotions and thus persuading them],

5 So that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men (human philosophy), but in the power of God.

a. 1 Corinthians 2:1 Many ancient manuscripts so read.
b. 1 Corinthians 2:3 Marvin Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament.
c. 1 Corinthians 2:3 Marvin Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament.
d. 1 Corinthians 2:4 Joseph Thayer, A Greek-English Lexicon.

Enthusiast

Not familiar with the AMP version of scripture. How does one "amplify" the Word of God?

- Cham
Hello friend.

It is a version of the bible which takes words, idioms, writing styles, etc. that translate poorly into English and elaborates/explains. For instance, there was/is(?) not one Greek word for 'Love', but four: Familial love, platonic(friendly) love, romantic love, and unconditional love. In all of these cases a single-word English translation could be 'Love', which in some contexts would be incorrect.

Also, I would be remiss if I did not reiterate what was in bold above. The Way of Jesus Christ is not one of earthly wisdom and intellectual ability but a giving of the Holy Spirit on whomever asks genuinely. There are many who have been saved without ever owning a bible, knowing how to read, or even hearing a well-worded speech. They simply called on the name of the Lord Jesus and were saved.

Thank you.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
If you were to omit Biblical references and even the name of Christ, do you think you could still explain why you believe as you do on a general level?

- Cham

Enthusiast

We/I cannot omit the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth and still explain the why of Belief/Adherence/Salvation. This belief is enabled by the Holy Spirit of God. The biblical references are important but not crucial to belief.