The Value of Life

How would you describe the value of life? What significance there is in being alive? What the point of it is? And don't cop out and say it's impossible to put into words. The challenge here is to try. :)

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I guess the significance of a humans life will be summed up by what you accomplish, how you treat others, including wildlife, the planet.

Most life has value, some just more than others, just can't imagine what would be the value of parasites, fleas, ticks, etc, their main function is the live off others but some people do too.

Actually parasites perform a very valuable function in nature. They control population in species that become too crowded or consume too many resources. Sound familiar?

But I was kind of driving at what the value of being alive is. What's so great about it, from your perspective?

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes it does sound familiar, black death anyone.:eek:

I think its great that I lived to adulthood, have a great family. I feel fortunate to be part of the smarter species. I don't know if you can really place a value on being alive, we do what humans do which makes us priceless. Sure beats the hell out of being dead.:D

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
People in general place way too much value on life. I don't know whether it's fear of the unknown in the form of "death and whatever's beyond" or just the uncomfortability of dealing with the sight and concept of a dead body turning up. But whatever it is, people just think death is the worst thing ever when it's really not (and I mean both natural caused death and early death). The most important thing is that the people who are alive spend their time influencing people or at least striving to do so however they can with however much or little they have the ability to do so. So it really annoys/intrigues/disturbs me when people are sOOOOOOOO paranoid about anything that so much as comes within the ballpark of someone dieing (even when their fears and worries are totally unjustified) when, in the process, they often decrease the quality and character of their own and the lives of those around them just by being so concerned about it. There just comes a point where it's silly to be so preoccupied by the mere CONCEPT of death that people would give and do anything and everything to screw peoples' ability to influence the living over just to be in their own little cubicle of perfect safety from the mere idea of death. I mean......... ughk. Just ughk dude. Live a little.