The United Football League

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Millz, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

For those of you who dont know, the United Football League is a professional league, which plans to begin its inaugural season on October 8, 2009. I guess you could call it the NFL's new competition or you could call it the new minor leagues for the NFL.

The league plans to begin its season in fall 2009, playing games on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evenings, with the first regular season game set to be held in October and the championship game on Thanksgiving weekend. They actually have some well known coaches will be apart of the league...currently there are 4 teams...

Las Vegas Locomotives: (Coach Jim Fassel)
    New York Sentinels: (Coach Ted Cottrel)
    Orlando Tuskers: (Coach Jim Haslett)
    San Francisco Rockfish: (Coach Dennis Green)

I believe JP Losman recently signed with one of those teams. Just like the XFL I'll probably watch just for the sake of watching but I doubt this league will last very long. It's not going to be like the AFL and NFL in which they merge together...

Here are some rule changes I found on wikpedia:

Anybody else gonna watch for the sake of watching?

Any other well name players on a team that I dont know about?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I like the rules except for the intentional grounding one.

Las Vegas and Orlando are garbage choices for inaugural teams as far as I'm concerned. They're not going to create a whole lot of interest nationally. Surprised they didn't put one in LA with no NFL teams there.

I'll probably watch a game or two just to check it out, but this league is destined for failure. No league will ever succeed competing directly with the NFL and NCAA. I think the only way a normal football league (not Arena) will ever survive is if it's part of a promotion/relegation system like the European soccer leagues have.

3. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Adam Archuleta is on the Las Vegas Locomotives with J.P. Losman. He's probably the next biggest name to be on a team.

Others I can think of are Brooks Bollinger, Ken Dorsey, Mike Doss, Chris Perry and B.J. Sams. They are the only ones that I can think of that people might actually know.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

That's the one reason I'm a little interested in this, to see some of the big name college players who didn't have much success in the NFL.