The unforgivable sin

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
This is something I've wondered about for a long time. I've asked people but could never really get a straight answer that explains it in a way I can understand. What is the unforgivable sin?

Matthew 13:31-32
31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
What is considered blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? What is it that classifies as "speaking against the Holy Spirit"?

I'd love to hear some input from other members here on this. Please guys, this is NOT a "God exists vs there is no God thread". If you do not believe and you know the bible well enough to give your input, please do. But let's not make this about anything other than the OP.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I always thought the unforgivable sin would be murder.
I don't think it is that actually. The verses I quoted speaks of all sins being forgiven except the sin against the Holy Spirit. I can't see how murder is a sin against the Holy Spirit. It's a sin, sure, but is it the one sin God will not forgive you for? I don't believe it is. I believe there is forgiveness and salvation for even the most hardened criminals, including murderers.

Could you explain why you think murder is a sin against the Holy Spirit?

kitchendame

Registered Member
I have been taught that it is not so much a matter of what kind of sin a person has committed; rather, it is the motive, the heart condition, and the degree of willfulness involved that determines whether a sin is forgivable or not.

First-century Jewish religious leaders who maliciously opposed Jesus Christ were sinning against the holy spirit. They saw God's spirit at work in Jesus as he performed miracles that honored God, but they attributed this power to Satan. This example comes right before the verse you quoted about the holy spirit, I think--Matthew 12:22-32. According to Jesus in those verses, those who thusblasphemed against God's holy spirit were thereby committing a sin that would not be forgiven in the present "system of things nor in that to come."

Blasphemy is defamatory, injurious, or abusive speech. Since the holy spirit has God as its Source, saying things against his spirit is the same as speaking against God. Unrepentantly resorting to speech of that kind is unforgivable. Jesus' words show that he is referring to those who wilfully oppose the operation of God's holy spirit. Because that spirit was at work in Jesus but his opposers ascribed this power to the Devil, they sinfully blasphemed against the spirit. Hence, Jesus declared: "Whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has no forgiveness forever, but is guilty of everlasting sin."

To show further that it is the heart condition and the willingness to genuinely repent, we need to look at another Bible example, that of King Manasseh of Judah. He did what was bad in God's eyes; he set up altars to Baal, worshipped "all the army of the heavens", and encouraged spiritistic practices. This all caused the inhabitants of Judah and Jerusalem to "do worse than the nations that God had annihilated from before the sons of Isreal." The warnings delivered by God's prophets were ignored, and eventually the king of Assyria took Manasseh captive. While in captivity, Manasseh repented and humbly kept praying to God, who not only forgave him but restored him to kingship in Jerusalem, where he promoted true worship.(Account found at 2 Chronicles 33:2-17)

So the extent of God's forgiveness toward those who are truly repentant is considerable. Since Malachai 3:6 reminds us in God's own words that he is God and has not changed, we can be sure he forgives truly repentant Christians today if they pray to him for forgiveness on the basis of his son Jesus' name, even if they themselves feel they may have committed "the unforgivable sin", because God looks at our motive, repentance, and heart condition to determine such a thing. He doesn't leave it in man's hands to judge.

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I've heard a few theories about what the unforgivable sin is.

It's not murder, since David basically murdered Uriah (Bathsheba's husband), and was considered a man after God's own heart. Saul/Paul went around arresting Christians and had many of them executed, and later obviously became one of the most effective followers of Christ in the history of the church.

The most common theory I've heard is that since the one of the primary roles of the Holy Spirit is the indwelling of believers, blaspheming against the Holy Spirit would be to persistently and stubbornly reject the Spirit's work in your life - in other words, to reject salvation.

Blasphemy Againt the Holy Spirit - What is Blasphemy Againt the Holy Spirit?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Thanks kitchendame and WadeRandomNumber for your input. This has cleared it up quite a bit for me.

So in summary, it is not the sin itself, but the the motive/condition of the heart/etc that determines the severity of the sin and whether it is forgiven or not. That and persistently and stubbornly reject the Spirit's work in your life. So knowingly rejecting salvation.

Thanks guys.