• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Uganda "Anti-Gay" Bill

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Uganda Anti-Gay Law Hearings Held

A Bill is being voted on in a day or two in Uganda that introduces harsh penalties for being gay...it originally came with a death penalty provision in 2009, for people with HIV or for cases of same-sex rape.

I've read & signed a couple of petitions, however, that state the death penalty provision is still in place. (Avaaz.org adn Allout.org).

Thoughts on this sad situation, and does anyone know other details about this bill?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hmm this seems like a sad day for Uganda. Hopefully any Gay people living there can escape this oppression and live in a more accepting environment one day.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I didn't even know there were people ignorant enough to write a bill like that. The article claims that Uganda could become a police state if the bill passes. Imo, it will be a police state period. And I noticed there wasn't anything said about trying to cure gays, just eliminating them. It's barbaric. That's the only word I could find that fits.
Since the bill obviously wasn't written by anyone intelligent, then protests will prolly be useless. My best advice would be to get out of the country before they sign it.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I saw this through a link from the HRC last night on Facebook and signed up to the petition straight away as something like this disguits me. I thought things were getting better and more progressive on this planet, sadly it seems some people don't see it this way it seems.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I saw this through a link from the HRC last night on Facebook and signed up to the petition straight away as something like this disguits me. I thought things were getting better and more progressive on this planet, sadly it seems some people don't see it this way it seems.
Glad to hear you signed, bro.

You know, I am optimistic that society is progressing, but it's an incredibly slow process. It's slow enough in the U.S., but it looks a lot more pessimistic when you look at things on a global scale, especially in countries that are in dire straights. Hard/painful to picture something like this in the modern world, though, for sure.

When that lack of progress is so unjust, however, it's good to know that we can at the very least contribute our voices to the cause.

BigBob

Registered Member
I sign both of the bills myself and also posted them on my Facebook wall in hopes that others will sign it to. It shouldn't be against the law to love someone because of their sex.. Love is Love no matter who it's between.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I sign both of the bills myself and also posted them on my Facebook wall in hopes that others will sign it to. It shouldn't be against the law to love someone because of their sex.. Love is Love no matter who it's between.
Well said, Bob. I've always said that last part, too. "Love is love."

Anyway, Awesome News, baby!!!

I received an e-mail from All Out, one of the groups that sponsored a petition.

Apparently, Uganda has abandoned the Bill for now. Some conservatives in their government are calling to bring it back later this year, but we're in the clear for the time being!

This is the email:

Dear friend,

The international pressure has worked! Uganda has abandoned the Kill the Gays bill, closing parliament in the face of an unprecedented global outcry. By adding your voice you’ve joined over 500,000 people around the world to send a powerful message that the Ugandan government could no longer afford to ignore.

Thank you.

This is an important step, but the fight isn’t over yet - while we stopped the Kill the Gays bill from passing in this session of parliament, conservatives in Uganda are vowing to bring it back later this year.
But the tables have begun to turn. Together we’re a movement of more than half a million people ready to ensure hundreds of thousands of Ugandans and others around the world are able to live their lives without fear.

We put together a short video to celebrate this amazing moment. Watch the video to find out how it all happened. Check it out now and share it with your friends:

YouTube - Half a Million go All Out for Uganda

With our friends from SMUG, the Uganda Civil Society Coalition, Bishop Christopher Senyonjo, and Avaaz, we have helped shine the spotlight of international attention to achieve this important victory.

This is a time to celebrate the impact that we can have when people from every corner of the planet and of every identity come together to build a world in which everyone can live freely and be embraced for who they are.

That’s what All Out is all about.

Thank you for speaking up when it matters most.

All the best and All Out,

Andre, Erika, Guillaume, Jeremy, Joseph, Prerna, Nita, Oli, Tile, Wesley and the rest of the team at All Out

PS - Keep in touch with All Out on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

SOURCES:
Uganda anti-gay bill pushed out of parliament
www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/13/uganda-anti-gay-bill-shelved
Uganda's "kill the gays" bill shelved again
af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE74C0HP20110513
Social Media Fights Ugandan Anti-Gay Legislation
mashable.com/2011/05/11/social-media-uganda-lgbt/
Uganda leaves anti-gay bill on shelf
www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/2011/05/13/Uganda-leaves-anti-gay-bill-on-shelf/UPI-64991305305051/