• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The true value of transforming into a Super Saiyan.

S

SSJ Squirm

We all know the story. Goku begins DBZ around 300kilis. Incredibly weak by DBZ standards. He undergoes massive training, learns techniques such as the kaioken that give him incredible boosts in strength. After much training and fighting the ginyus, Goku finally faces Freiza. Almost immediately you realize how poorly Goku is prepared to truly face Freiza. Freiza toys with Goku virtually the entire fight. Yes, Goku managed to get in some shots on Freiza, but Freiza could have easily killed him at any point. We all know what happened. He uses the spirit bomb only for Freiza to come back, nearly kill Piccolo and obliterate Krillen. At this point, Goku was roughly 300,000 killis and then his rage shoots him to become a super saiyan. Goku's power level once acheiving that transformation was 7 Million killis. This was enough for him to beat Freiza and he did. Let's take a look at the transformation in particular.

There are different theories as to how Goku was able to do this. All will agree the rage of losing Krillen so brutally was what put him over the edge. What was actually happening inside of Goku? Only thing you can possibly draw is that the key to his saiyan to super saiyan transformation was his emotions. But didn't Goku feel this pain before? What makes it different now? His power level? The fact that he doesn't have his tail? His hatred for Freiza? Let's examine this.

At 300,000 kilis, Goku loses Krillen. Only thing going through his mind is rage. The Goku who was truly innocent was lost at this point. True anger marred him. In the matter of a couple minutes he obtained an increase in strength many times that he had ever gained before. How he was able to remain in control of this is unbelievable. The stress on his body must have been unreal. Yet Goku was able to control it. Perhaps that is the beauty of the Super Saiyan transformation. If Goku had been given all this power without the transformation or without the training necessary, he may have gone mad. The transformation perhaps isn't just a means to an incredible power gain, or even the fullfillment of a legacy. Perhaps it is the reason that Freiza secretly feared all Saiyans. Not just the fact that they could gain strength, but if the legend were real... well... it is and it happened.

Now it's at this point that the series truly stops accounting for actual strength and focuses on transformations. As a result, we end up getting crap like Goten and Trunks going super saiyan so young. I argue that Gohan's early transformation was earned and makes sense because the series makes a big deal of his ability to use his rage which makes total sense and the fact that he trained too.

Especially after the android saga, the Super Saiyan transformation seems meaningless since it's no longer enough. It's one of the main reasons why they should have kept power levels. Power levels help bring real reference and real differences between characters who can transform. That Super Saiyan transformation never meant as much as it did the first time Goku transformed. The only other instance that half seems appropriate of Saiyan to Super Saiyan was when future Trunks lost Gohan in the movie. All others seem lacking. Now again, I'm only referencing super saiyan 1 transformations. In some cases, I almost only Goku would be able to go Super Saiyan, but then we'd lose out on quite a bit.

I suppose the reason for all this is, I'm trying to find the value of the Saiyan to Super Saiyan transformation. To me it was lost after Goku. Am I wrong? Is it still valuable? Is there some intrinsic value I'm missing? Perhaps it was just to make the series cooler to let all the saiyans get the golden hair thingy. Perhaps it was to make the SSJ2 level more credible... I don't know, it all seems hollow to me.

D

Dranigus

Kilis is not a measuring unit of power, it's a measuring unit of life energy. Remember Babidi was resurrecting Majin Buu, not restoring Majin Buu's power. I don't care what you have to say on that. I know the difference is between life energy and inner physical energy. It's not my problem hardly anyone else does.

Anyways... Super Saiyan is a transcended form that is established after unlocking your life energy and manifesting it into your being. Or basically fusing with the life energy from within you.

The value of a super saiyan as a fighter is not being able to be defeated until you are truely defeated from inside. In other words you have to give up to lose. Although there might be other specific conditions that may cause defeat, like being absorbed or being drained completely out of life energy, which should cause you to die.

The value of being able to transform into a super saiyan shows that you are above all other saiyan warriors that aren't super saiyan. After all super means above.

B

barfootboards

SSJ Squirm said:
The fact that he doesn't have his tail?

actualy, just to note, the super saiyan tranformation is nothing more then a mutation of not having a tail, when the time comes to go golden ozzaro, the power has to be realeased somewhere, and with no tail, POW, u have a SS.

D

Dranigus

That makes no sense.

The Golden Oozaru transformation occurs while transforming into a Super Saiyan while being an Oozaru.

The Super Saiyan state can occur with or without having a tail.

B

barfootboards

u have no proof of that, how do you know u can become a super saiyan if u have a tail?

S

SSJ Squirm

No one who has turned SS had a tail at the time of transformation.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it's way better that everyone turns into a Super Saiyan, just because we always have new villains coming to earth or some planet, and we cannot always have Goku saving the planet, so that's why he helps wiht some training, he knows he can't do it by himself, he can easily read the power of this villain and he knows if he's stronger or not then this person.

D

Dranigus

I have by far more than enough evidence to support my case.

In order to transform into an Oozaru you need blutz waves from the moon or something and you need a tail.

Well without blutz waves, how can you turn into an Oozaru or a Golden Oozaru?

See I am right. Don't argue with me, unless you have evidence of your own.

Golden Oozaru is as much filler in GT as being a super saiyan with a tail.

B

barfootboards

evidence? ..... that means nothing ...... and i never said that u can turn into a Oozaru or golden Oozaru with out blutz waves

and theres now way i will go by that picture simply because its from GT, why would you trust anything from that series

in the world of DBZ (not GT) that theory is posible, and in DBZ, u have no proof to go against that. GT basicly destroys all logic DBZ ever had, you cant use it for argument sake

D

DarknessWarrior

The Super Saiyan tansformation was to display a drmatic increase in power, especially in the main character. The value of power, on the good side, was first displayed through Goku, because he trained constantly with many challenges to his body, and even influenced others to train and reach his level (Picollo, Vegeta, Krillin, Gohan).

After the Android Saga, the Super Saiyan transformation was just for show, and many of the Super Saiyan changes (also with the addition of fusions) made it seem like a ridiculous way to increase power (Ki, rather). Gogeta, Gotenks, Vegito, SSJ 3 Goku, and Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta and Goku all seemed ridiculous, almost to the point where it seemed like the writers were running low on ideas when mapping out the story.

That is just my opinion..........