Movies The Town (B. Affleck movie)

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Today I realised that I have two free cinema passes about to expire in two days. So I headed to the theatres and picked from the ones with a closer showing (and non dubbed, lol).

I watched "The Town" - a movie I haven't really heard of and I saw that Ben Affleck directs it and also stars in it. I figured, oh well, if it's disappointing at least it's free.

Maybe I just underestimated it, but I was surprised at how I liked the movie. It's strong point isn't originality (it'll make you think of several movies, all good btw) but I think it was well done and has a good mix of action and drama and comic relief at appropriate times.

When I went home though, I checked two popular rating sites and saw that Rotten tomatoes rated it 94% and Imdb 8.3 (as of writing). It means that it has pleased a lot of other viewers too so I'm just not being biased coz it was free or was underestimated. :D

Anyone else have seen it? :popcorn:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have yet to see it, but I've only heard good things about it. I was suppose to see on opening night but something came up, and I couldn't go.

I was surprised that it got so many good reviews since it's from Ben Affleck, and let's face it, he's not always entertaining.

I plan to see it fairly soon.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
How was Jeremy Renner in it. I've only seen him in Hurt Locker and he was utterly Amazing in that movie (imho). One of the only reasons I'd go to see "The Town" is to see if Renner just got lucky with Hurt Locker or if he truly is a fantastic actor.

This movie looks great. I was hooked with the trailer. The masks, shit looked awesome. And my hate for Affleck has gone down in recent years. Oh and the praise is pretty high on this one.

Definitely something I need to watch and soon.
------
How was Jeremy Renner in it. I've only seen him in Hurt Locker and he was utterly Amazing in that movie (imho). One of the only reasons I'd go to see "The Town" is to see if Renner just got lucky with Hurt Locker or if he truly is a fantastic actor.
He wasn't completely terrible in SWAT. :lol:

Last edited:
I've heard great things about this movie as well. The worst thing that I've seen said about it was that at points it was kind of cliche and the characters could feel a little two dimensional at times, but all in all I've heard it is a very solid crime drama and worthy of seeing.

That movie was friggin horrible. I sorta put it out of my memory... but now that you mentioned he's in it... maybe I'll sit through it again and see if I can pick him apart. Didnt even know he was in it.
Renner and Michelle Rodriguez's breasts are the only bright spots of that film. Haha.

I also enjoyed him in 28 Weeks Later.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
He's good and so is his character in the movie.

I've heard great things about this movie as well. The worst thing that I've seen said about it was that at points it was kind of cliche and the characters could feel a little two dimensional at times, but all in all I've heard it is a very solid crime drama and worthy of seeing.
Yeah, like I said originality isn't the "point forte" but I think when you get lost in the movie, it can be overlooked. I like the pacing and how it captures the interest from beginning to end.

Just got done watching this. Great movie. It definitely deserved all the hype & praise it received. Strong performances, entertaining story, great action. What else could you ask for?

I used to hate Affleck... but not so much anymore, especially if he keeps this up. He's a good director.