• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Superior Spider-Man

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
WARNING: This thread contains spoilers from the Amazing Spider-Man #700 and the identity of the new Spider-Man...turn back now if you don't want to know!

-----------------------------------------------
-------------------------------
-------------------
---------
----
--
-

So, as I mentioned in the Marvel NOW! thread, one of the new titles that Marvel is launching is called "The Superior Spider-Man." Yep, Amazing Spider-Man is gone for the time being after issue #700.

During the final issues of ASM, Doctor Octopus hatched a plot in which he swapped minds with Peter Parker. The catch? Doc Ock's body was dying. At the end of the day, Peter couldn't get himself out of this one and died in Doctor Octopus' body. However, in sharing memories with Doc Ock, Spidey's heroics rubbed off...Otto has now pledged to become a better Spider-Man than Peter and promised to continue protecting the innocent.

The first issue of Superior Spider-Man is due out in a little over a week. Dan Slott will continue writing, and the first few issues will be drawn by Ryan Stegman who IMO is the best Spider-Man artist out there.

So, what are your thoughts on this title? Potential pros, cons?

Wade8813

Registered Member
That seems incredibly stupid. I think they're either going to have to retcon it, or resurrect Pete, or whatever. It's one of those things that might be interesting for a short storyline, but seems incredibly lame long-term.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
That seems incredibly stupid. I think they're either going to have to retcon it, or resurrect Pete, or whatever. It's one of those things that might be interesting for a short storyline, but seems incredibly lame long-term.
That's one of the huge reasons I'm excited about it...this is one of those short-term storylines where you might ask a lot of "what-ifs" about the situation. In this case, we can see a lot of long-term things. How will Doc Ock do with being a hero, how will he react to the villains, what will happen in "Peter's" personal life, etc.

I'm not worried about the knee-jerk reaction I usually would have, anger about Peter being gone and anger about not continuing with #701...but as Stan Lee said in an interview, that stuff is really always easily fixed in the future. I think the potential will at least keep this title around, I definitely understand where you're coming from Wade but I think people will read it.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Well, since One More Day still hasn't been fixed, and Pete was killed in the Ultimates storyline recently too, I'm getting more and more pessimistic about the whole thing.

I mean, I don't think they can keep Peter dead forever, but seriously...

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Well, since One More Day still hasn't been fixed, and Pete was killed in the Ultimates storyline recently too, I'm getting more and more pessimistic about the whole thing.

I mean, I don't think they can keep Peter dead forever, but seriously...
My theory on the quick fix is:

At any time in the run they can have it turn out that Doc Ock was really the one that died and the mind swap was really just a mind "imprint" of sorts.

I'm surprised you don't like Miles Morales as Ultimate Spider-Man, it's a book that's totally worth a read. Brian Michael Bendis is doing a great job with that book.

I just think it will be fun to see what Peter's legacy is like as well for Doc Ock, and whether he will be the only one that knows Peter is gone. I mean, you think Mary Jane would catch on right?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I haven't actually read any of the newest Ult Spidey, I just heard about it. I didn't mention it because I dislike it so much as that it's worrisome (and from what I know of the Ultimate universe, it's much more likely that Peter's dead for good in that timeline).

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So did anyone get a chance to read this comic? Any thoughts out there?