• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games The Stanley Parable

dDave

V.I.P.
Here's a game I discovered yesterday that just confuses me to no end (which apparently means that I get it?)

The Stanley Parable Launch Trailer - YouTube

The Stanley Parable. It's a game that is designed to focus on the elements of choice and storytelling. From what I understand, it has a strong focus on purpose and producing certain outcomes in the limited universe of games.

The game isn't very long (at least I don't think it is). People have full playthroughs on youtube that are about 30 minutes long.

The game runs in the Source Engine and looks to be really unique and interesting. Weird, but interesting.

It's $12 in the Steam Store right now. Anybody hear of this game yet or play it?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Looks like an interesting game. I really enjoy those types of games that require you to think. I'll definitely look into it when I have a new computer.

dDave

V.I.P.
So, I started this game yesterday. To say the very least it's... interesting... frustrating... and strange all at the same time.

There really is no way to describe this game properly. I can understand why people only take 30 minutes to finish the game though. There are tons of different choices you can make while playing the game. I'm not really sure how the endings are generated yet, but I should be able to figure it out after making a few more runs through the game.

The graphical quality is somewhat low, but that's not what the game is about. The game has a real focus on the effects of choices made in games. A real mind puzzle if you ask me.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
It looks really interesting and different, but I think a game like this might annoy me. I doubt I'd try it, ever. :lol:

dDave

V.I.P.
It looks really interesting and different, but I think a game like this might annoy me. I doubt I'd try it, ever. :lol:
This game definitely isn't for everyone. One of the main enjoyments I get from it is being able to talk about it from a philosophical standpoint with a friend that plays it.

The entire game feels as if you're participating in a psychological experiment.

You beat the game only to start back in the same place and yet the game recognizes (in it's own way) that you did in fact accomplish the stated goal. Things are different, you get different narration, different options, etc. Definitely one of the more original games I've played.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
So would it just keep going and going after you finish it, but with different narations? Does it ever really stop, as in game over?

It's pretty unique to have a game more tapped into the psyche. I just think my psyche would go psycho from frustration with this game. :lol:

dDave

V.I.P.
If anybody plays this game make sure to let me know what you think.

I've gotten most of the endings in the game and some of them are outright frustrating. This game really is a psychological experiment. :lol:

I won't spoil any surprises but I found a small section of the game that is in minecraft and another that takes place in a familiar room in Portal. Interesting, I was not expecting to see either of those.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mirage Video Games 1
Major Hockey 336
Babe_Ruth Hockey 19
Konshentz Hockey 22
Babe_Ruth Hockey 12