The Sex Offender Registry [Story inside]

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Personally, this made me sick.

(Full story below)

Long story short: Guy gets tricked by 16-year old into thinking she's older. They become intimate and date for a few months. She cheats, he breaks up with her. She gets beaten by her new boyfriend after he finds out that he was the "other guy" and in her state of panic, tells the cops Guy #1 raped her. Guy #1 is put on sex offender registry and remains there to this day (19 years later) and it suffering financially because his label is preventing him from making money.

He does make a good point though. How come there is no Drug Abuser registry? Or Traffic Violator registry? How come sex crimes are the only crimes that are this heavily policed and corrupted? We've all heard the old joke that you could be put on the sex offender list for pissing in public and this is the same kind of joke. The dude was tricked by a girl wanting to be older and because she got scared, she ruined his life. Now this all could have been prevented, specifically with witnesses stating that they heard her talking about how proud she was to be fooling a 21-year old guy into having sex with her. Yet no judge has overturned this. No attorney will defend him.

Are we this much of a fucked up country that we can't pardon or help a guy who was tricked into committing in crime?

What do you think? Does he deserve to be put on the registry? Should his case have been dismissed? Other thoughts?

2. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

This seriously pisses me off, too! You can't just lump everyone together. There is a such thing as INTENT! This is what separates manslaughter from murder, etc.

If it is proved that the girl tricked him into thinking she was older, he should NOT have to register as a sex offender.

So sad. :(

3. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Sexual crimes where a minor is involved is pretty much the #1 socially stigmatized crime you can commit.

There are tons of stories of people who didn't deserve to be on that list, or only nominally deserved to be, and who have their entire lives ruined because of it.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Statutory rape is a general intent crime not a specific intent crime, there doesn't need to be intent to commit it, only that it happened. The purpose of the statute is to protect minors who consent to sex with an adult when they're still so young.

Going to the registry, this is why I'm against it, Cons. Once someone is on the registry they're suddenly suspects in crimes in their areas even though they've paid their debt to society. It reminds me of the movie Casablanca when someone says "round up the usual suspects". There are no registries for any other crime even though the recidivism rate can be in some cases higher.

I don't think this kid should be on the registry and I don't think he should have to live with this stigma for what happened. It's a gross miscarriage of justice.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  5. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

He's lived with this for 19 years? Good for him for making it that long. It seems like a pretty fucked up system to me. Especially if the girl has stated that it was a false claim.

The part that made it worse, was that he got fired from all those jobs, and the background checks showed that he was on the register and those job offers went. Surely there should be questioning as to why he was on the register by the employers?

Hope the girl is proud of herself for ruining someones life like that.

6. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

This same exact thing happend to a good (male) friend of mine... He was 25, in the military, he met her at a local Bar, they began chatting, played a game or two of pool and darts; she told him she was 19 years old and when he questioned her on how she got in / served at this bar, she told him that she new someone who made fake ID's.
    ...Mind you, that's not as terrible as you would think, in fact, everyone I knew used a fake ID when we were 18 / 19 / 20 years of age but I don't ever remember any of us having a fake ID at her (real) age.

Anyway, they saw eachother a couple times after meeting that night, I recall him phoning me one night and saying, "She's a sweet girl but that's all she is, I want someone I have something in common with, someone I can have a somewhat intelligent conversation with, someone who doesn't giggle when we have sex". (etc.) And that's when I asked him, "Are you sure she's 19 and not younger"? And he said, "There's no doubt in my mind she's any younger than what she says she is, you've seen her, she looks 19". And she did! I never in a million years thought she looked any younger than an 18 / 19 year old female!

...A few days later he broke things off with her for the same reasons he expressed to me. To make a long story short, she got pissed off, told her mother and father she was "raped", her parents took it to his First Sgt. and that's all she wrote!!!. . .He was kicked out of the military for statutory rape and had to serve time for his crime.

She turned out to be only 15 years old.

7. Merc

I understand the intent to protect the minor, but what about the person who didn't even know they were committing a crime and instead were tricked into thinking what they were doing was actually illegal?

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I know, I was referring to NIN's post about intent. Unfortunately there are going to be cases like these but to change the intent to what is required under the crime of rape would mean adults can have sex with minors all they want so long as it's consensual.

My problem is with the registry, not with the crime itself. What he did was a crime. I just don't think he should be paying for it the rest of his life.

9. Merc

But is it really consensual if you're tricked into it? I can't speak for this guy, but I'd have to imagine this guy wouldn't have slept with her if she was honest about her age. That has to be important in a case like this and there has to be some way around the whole issue of consent if it executed under false pretenses. I understand and support the need for statutory rape as a crime but if you ask me, it only exists by definition in this story. He was lied to and essentially taken advantage of yet she has suffered nothing for it while he has lived a life where people hide their children from him.

10. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

How is it a crime if she led him to believe she was older than she really was?

In this particular circumstance, I do not see this as a crime he committed- he was led under false pretenses therefore should not have to pay the consequences due to a stupid little girl who wanted to get her revenge.
    ...Now, if it were some paedo pushing himself on, violating and raping an under-aged child that's an entirely different story imo... Hang that prick by his nuts and stone him to death.