The "Sean Avery Rule"

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Holding his stick upward, Avery waved it side to side to block Brodeur's vision in a newfangled method of screening. Brodeur gave him a whack, but that was hardly a deterrent.

"I've played for 15 years in this league. I've been watching games for 33 years. I had never seen that in my life," Brodeur said. "I don't think that kind of behavior should be done in front of the net, but there is no rule for it."

That was true Sunday, but not Monday. The NHL moved quickly to eliminate this activity by making an on-the-fly rule interpretation.

"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play," Colin Campbell, the NHL director of hockey operations, said in a statement.
YouTube - Sean Avery screens/battles Martin Brodeur - Game 3; 13/04/08

Heres the action that caused Cambell to pursue his sudden reaction against this type of play. You gotta hand it to Avery though... He wasnt breaking any rules, but yet he still managed to piss off pretty much everyone. And for an antagonizer like him.... he's probably loving it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm glad there making this new rule, I think there's no room for what Avery did in the NHL, yes your allowed to screen the goalie, but not like Avery did yesterday. I knew that the NHL would review this and make a ruling out of it because it was pretty bad in my opinion.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sean Avery is such a piece of shit. He was a piece of shit before this and him doing this just reaffirms his shittiness.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Manny Legace seemed to be amused by it.

Avery can be very amusing at times, but he does border on Piece of Shit-ness.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This is why guys like Avery crack me up. When he played for Los Angeles.... everyone except for the Kings fans hated him... now that he's playing for the Rangers... Everyone except for the Rangers fans hate him. LMAO, he's efficient at his job... in that article it says he caused 3 power plays and all 3 were scored on, cant tell me he's not a roll player playing a roll!

but you guys are a right... he is a sh!thead that manages to stir up a whole league with his antics.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
It's true! I loved him when he was in Detroit, all the players loved him and loved mentoring him. Then he went to LA and tried to stir up shit with Chelios - Cheli was pissed!

Honestly I wish we'd never have traded him. That was an unpopular decision all around, and I think it was one of the nails in the coffin of Detroit's 02-03 season.

sorry to go off topic.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I dont think thats off topic... I mean thats what Avery is all about! You love him when he's on your team but hate him everywhere else. His oddball actions keep news reels on the NHL rolling.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would love to have Sean Avery on my team, he's a great player and he's pest. Most of the things he does doesn't bother me but what he did against Brodeur was just un-called for and it shouldn't be in our game.

I'm glad that they decided to make this new rule. So we won't have to see it ever again.

Fireball

Registered Member
As a Rangers fan, I do love most of the fire Avery spews, and I like his personality, especially alongside the rest of the team...that said, this was a bush league move, and I'm disappointed Avery did it. I don't want the Rangers to win games that way.