The Rock and Stone Cold?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, May 4, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

As everyone knows these two wrestlers got the biggest ovations during the Attitude ERA, do you believe they set the bar a bit to high for the wrestlers today?

The only wrestlers that get close to those ovations are:

Jeff Hardy
    HHH
    HBK
    Undertaker

Other then that I cannot think of anyone.

Thoughts?

Last edited: May 4, 2009

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

You suddenly forget about Cena?

They didn't "set the bar too high" they were simply employed during a time in which the writing was much better and the superstars didn't need idiotic gimmicks just raw attitude.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I didnt forget Cena, he gets mixs reactions. Half of the cheers are positive and the other half are negative.

The wrestlers that I mentioned are mostly positive cheering for them.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Well even if they did set the standard to high, thats good for them. I believe thats how it should be. I mean think of the already awesome history they competed against back in the Federation and Early years. Ricky Steamboat, Randy Savage, Hulk Hogan, I mean there were some pretty damn popular guys back then to. The kind of guys that nobody thought would ever be as popular as. Then The Rock and Stone Cold come through and just blow those away.

Will anyone ever be as popular? Yeah sure, thats how the Entertainment business works. It may not be this year or next year or even in the next 5 years. But you can bet that someone will enter the ring that will be just as popular, if not MORE popular than those who dominated the attitude era.

I do feel that they have to be able to get away from the family friendly game though. The reason the Attitude era was so popular and thrusted guys like the Rock and Stone Cold into popularity was because they were in your face, believable and almost even characters you could relate to. They didnt sugar coat their speeches and when they fought, they fought all out.

I couldnt help but notice even that small detail about how much they put into it. Just watching old clips of the Stone Cold Stunner you can see how further along the timeline we got... the more the Victims of the Stunner were for lack of better words.... Scared to follow through. And yet some of the best Stunners were always amongst the Rock and Stone Cold, and I say strongly because they went all out, they werent scared they were there to entertain and they did just that. When someone enters the ring with that kind of drive I'm sure we'll be seeing someone was electrifying as those two. Although they probably helped make eachother popular to. I mean back in those days you were either a Stone Cold Fan or a Rock Fan :hah: I hardly know any in betweens... maybe Bret Heart or Mankind, Oh the Undertaker... well he doesnt count lol... he cheats the laws of physics by wrestling so long.

But yeah now that I think about it, the Undertaker is probably the best measuring stick. Arguably he's been a top performer right? All throughout the years... and I'd bet his biggest years were the Attitude Era. Just goes to show thats what the people want. Its to bad that product isnt whats being marketed anymore.

5. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

Undertaker gets some really good receptions when he makes his entrance and I know Bret used to back in the day.

6. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Regardless of the TYPE of reaction, he GETS a reaction. Snitsky wishes he got half of the reaction that John Cena gets from the fans. His is probably the loudest. I'd like to also put Batista on there...Ive been to live shows and the people arupt for that clown.

But yeah, I dont think they set the bar too high...they were just that popular.

7. n3wt

n3wt Registered Member

These are my two favorite wrestlers and it is impossible for me to choose between them, Austin is/was a badass and his antics were always over the top especailly against McMann. Some of the storylines involving Austin was brilliant.

The Rock was just an awesome athlete and his mic skills were phanominal I have recently been watching videos on youtube of just The Rocks best mic clips and they still crack me up.

Back in the day these two wrestlers were just amazing and they both are to difficult to choose my favorite :lol:

8. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I don't think it's so much a problem that they set the bar too high for other wrestlers, i think it's more a case that it's damn near impossible to get that kind of reaction out of a current WWE crowd no matter who you are or what you do. It's hard to deny that WWE crowds aren't as passionate as they were back in the Attitude Era, and i'm not sure if they ever will be. As WWE becomes more and more mainstream audiences are filled up with kids and families that just don't live and breathe the product in the same way that a lot of fans did during the late 90's. So even if a superstar with the charisma and ability of Stone Cold or The Rock came along, it'd probably be harder for them to get the same fanatical reaction that Austin and The Rock did.

Also, i don't think a PG rated superstar will ever get that kind of reaction. A superstar needs to have a bit of edge to appeal to everyone, like Austin and The Rock most definitely had, as a lot of people don't like these PG rated babyfaces being shoved down their throats.

9. n3wt

n3wt Registered Member

I dont watch as much WWE as I used to any more but from the bits I do pick up on the storys are dyer, not like they used to be anyway. I tend to watch TNA now as it is on the tv package that we have at the moment, we dont have the sports package anymore.