• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The reward for winning matches

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Something that I have noticed the past couple of weeks is the announcers mentioning the winners "purse" or something to the affect of how the winners of the matches get more money for winning.

I heard Booker T say that during the Rhodes/Bryan match on Smackdown and Punk mentioned on RAW how wins and losses count. I think they should push this more. Make wins and losses matter. Tell us that the winners of the matches earn more money as a result.

I think it adds some believability.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Whilst I agree with this in theory I am not sure how seriously it would really be taken. I think this might work to the casual fan but for people who have been watching it for some time and know how things work in the background this may come off as a little insulting in a way. We know how it works, we know why some get wins over each other and doing something like this I can't help but feel would border on trying to question fans and how much they have followed.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Something that I have noticed the past couple of weeks is the announcers mentioning the winners "purse" or something to the affect of how the winners of the matches get more money for winning.

I heard Booker T say that during the Rhodes/Bryan match on Smackdown and Punk mentioned on RAW how wins and losses count. I think they should push this more. Make wins and losses matter. Tell us that the winners of the matches earn more money as a result.

I think it adds some believability.
I've noticed this as well, and mentioned it in one of my show comments in recent weeks. I think that it adds a lot to the matches, and is a throwback to classic wrestling. WWE needs small things like that right now in order to identify with wrestling fans who aren't happy about the word being taken out of the company's vernacular.

Whilst I agree with this in theory I am not sure how seriously it would really be taken. I think this might work to the casual fan but for people who have been watching it for some time and know how things work in the background this may come off as a little insulting in a way. We know how it works, we know why some get wins over each other and doing something like this I can't help but feel would border on trying to question fans and how much they have followed.
I don't think it would be insulting at all; serious fans know how it works, but we get into storylines that aren't real, right? A comparison that I use is that when I'm watching a movie, I don't think "well, that actor didn't really die." I pay attention to the character. I'm the same way with wrestling. While a part of me thinks "oh good, CM Punk is getting a title shot!" I try to focus on the storyline, and enjoy it for what it is.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it's insulting to the casual fan or the "Real" fan when wins and losses don't matter. I remember a point where Orton and Cena lost a lot but yet they were still in the main event. That's insulting to us.

I remember Heenan used to mention the winners purse a lot and as a kid that made things more believable for me.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think it's insulting to the casual fan or the "Real" fan when wins and losses don't matter. I remember a point where Orton and Cena lost a lot but yet they were still in the main event. That's insulting to us.

I remember Heenan used to mention the winners purse a lot and as a kid that made things more believable for me.
That last sentence is something important in this discussion, IMO.

Whether it's a kid, or a new fan, or a casual fan, the closer that pro wrestling gets to reality the more likely that person is to get hooked. Especially in the case of the newer teenage/adult fans, I'd think.

Small things like purses being mentioned (WWE), matches counting with points towards a title shot (TNA's Bound For Glory Series), or an "honor code" (ROH) really make a product feel more legitimate.

This even applies to a fan like me that knows some things about the business...I enjoy things more in wrestling when they're at least semi-close to reality.

Ziggy

Sup?
Maybe they should have some statistics under their name when they're introduced?

Like their yearly win/loss record, how long they've gone without a loss.

Maybe even put the two wrestlers side by side to show whose won more when they have met in matches.

These sort of statistics are things I like in other sports. Like in Rugby League they have statistics for everything.

Kratzenkov16

Registered Member
i think a win/loss thing would be cool and millz could show wwe the numbers lol...

this isn't something i thought much about it but anytime there are incentives its better and more intersesting...

Ziggy

Sup?
There needs to be a more competitive nature in those throw away matches they put inbetween the storyline matches.

Ziggy

Sup?
It would add a new dimension to the WWE to have a more competitive look in the midcard. Win enough matches and you move up in the world. People will be able to see real growth in every wrestler.