• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Republican primaries

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
I think it's the time when the Republicans will be getting ready for their run to appoint to be elected whenever the primary votes are announced.

Do you know some of the Republicans that will be competing in the primary race to challenge for the White House 2016?

This post is not for debating between Republicans and Democrats. This post is only to discuss primary Republicans, who they are and and what consists in their campaigns.

Lets get familiar with the Republican primary race. Whoever wants to discuss to talk about Democrats primary and or Hillary Clinton campaign, please make it a new topic. Because I am trying to avoid snowball fighting in this post. Or let's keep the peace.

Who would like to start off the primary Republican race?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Good to see you around again, RTB. Welcome back.

The names I hear getting thrown around for the Republicans the most are Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, and Ted Cruz. There may be others, but honestly it's way too early for me to be paying close attention to it.

Rand Paul is the only one of those mentioned that I could support. I like that he's more socially liberal, wants to end the war on drugs, and didn't support the wars in the Middle East. How much I can really get behind him will depend on his stance on environmental issues though.

dDave

V.I.P.
We can't really get familiar with the Republican primaries for 2016 until we have some people announcing that they will run for office.

I have high hopes for 2016. Colorado has a chance to oust another liberal senator (Michael Bennet) and we will be getting rid of Obama (it's about time.). I'm hoping that the Republicans put forth a true conservative for the White House.

Of the list that Hoes posted, I would support Rubio, Ryan, Paul, and Cruz. I would not vote for Bush or Christie in the primaries.

A few other names we might see would be Huntsman and Huckabee.

We can expect to hear people announcing candidacy in the middle of 2015.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
About the only one I could get behind would be Rand Paul at this point. I would have to hear more from them on where they stand on many things before I can really make up my mind.

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
ok you can probably see that I don't totally know about these elections..I didn't know that it wouldn't be until 2015 that it would be announced. I guess because it seemed before the 2012 these candidates were going at it full force early on in the stages.

Although those like Hermann Cain, Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry and Rick Santorum and steadily moving along Mitt Romney...so that made me believe that the new race already started.
Ok so i'm a little early and that's not to bad.. Maybe I will be more aware when they make these announcements..

Thanks for your input and comments.

dDave

V.I.P.
I know its a little early, but look at the top 5 for the gop:
Bush 23%
Christie 13%
Carson 7%
Huckabee 6%
Paul 6%
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2014/images/12/24/poll2.pdf

Good Lord, the GOP is going to do the impossible and lose against Hillary Clinton. What a bunch of losers.
It's more than a little early. We don't even have all of the contenders yet and I doubt anybody actually knows what the positions of most of these potential candidates are. All that a lot of people see is the name Bush, it's why Jeb has a career. Hillary has a career for similar reasons.

I still hope that Cruz joins the race. He would destroy any opponent the Democrats could possibly throw at him. He'd win 60% or more of the popular vote.

I'm convinced that Hillary will lose the nomination to Elizabeth Warren.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I still hope that Cruz joins the race. He would destroy any opponent the Democrats could possibly throw at him. He'd win 60% or more of the popular vote.
This actually cracks me up. No president has won 60% or more of the popular vote since Richard Nixon in 1972.

Cruz doesn't have that broad of an appeal. He's not even that popular within his own party, much less among independents and swing voters. Not saying he couldn't win, but it most likely wouldn't be by a wide margin.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
So, Trump had a resounding victory in New Hampshire tonight with what looks like a 20% margin over second place.

John Kasich had a good showing, taking second and keeping his campaign alive, at least for now. He put most of his time and resources into New Hampshire, so this was a much-needed result for him. However, the next several primaries probably don't set up very well for him. He's expected to be stronger in the Midwestern states, but will he survive until then?

Cruz and Bush are neck and neck for 3rd and 4th, with Rubio just slightly behind in 5th. Very poor result for Rubio to finish behind other establishment candidates, Kasich and Bush. His lousy debate performance over the weekend probably hurt him.

I'm expecting Christie, Fiorina, and Carson to drop out this week.

The longer Kasich, Rubio, Bush, and Christie all stay in the race, the better chance Trump or Cruz will have to win the nomination. The quicker the establishment can get behind one candidate, the advantage will shift over that direction. I'm expecting that to be Rubio or Bush, but you never know. Maybe Kasich can carry some momentum forward from tonight's second place.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Trump did well in NH with 35% of the vote, twice as good as anyone else. I think all but the top three or four should drop out but at the very least the bottom three should. I look for Bush to hang in there hoping the republican party will pick him to run when they have their convention. However if they do pick Bush I don't think he will win.

Donald Trump 35%
John Kasich 16%
Ted Cruz 12%
Jeb Bush 11%
Marco Rubio 11%
Chris Christie 7%
Ben Carson 2%
Carly Fiorina 4%