The Rebel Flag

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Jeanie, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

What does it mean to you? Do you see it favorably or does it make you cringe? Are you a Yankee or a Southerner?

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I see it as a symbol of states rights. It was the flag that represented an anti-government south. I see nothing racial about it.

3. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

i don't know it would make me cringe. I used to live down south and some people I'd notice would still have them, but I don't think a lot of them realized what it stood for. now I'm basically where I was born. Yankee here.

4. BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit Registered Member

I doubt there are too many born-and-raised southern folk who are ignorant of the Confederate flag's significance. I don't see anything significantly racist about the flag itself, although, it could still be considered offensive by association.

On the same topic; what about the Nazi flag? When people see it, do they see the united working class of Germany or Hitler's atrocities? We really are taught preconceived feelings toward these icons, since they're always shown as the "bad guy" in various history courses.

5. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm a Southerner. I lived in a small town and the flag flew everywhere. Never once did I hear anything negative or racial associated with the flag while growing up. It's not generally taught that it represents racism here, and to most Southerners I know, the flag doesn't represent racism in any way. I never knew that it was viewed negatively by northerners until about 3 years ago when I was subjected to a rant.

6. Kriistineeee

Kriistineeee Registered Member

I'm a southern girl. To me, the flag represents the south as a whole, and I've never heard it called racist.

7. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I see the flag like words.

Gay used to mean happy, now it means homosexual, or stupid.

And like the flag, the symbol changed. The flag once meant slavery, horrible acts.

Now it means southern pride.

8. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Actually I don't know if you noticed or not, but a few southern states still have the rebel flag (or cross) in their state flags and it is socially acceptable. This is why I think the rebel flag is not looked at in the same light as say a Nazi flag. I drive around in the stick here in PA and have seen people with rebel flags flying with the state and U.S. flags. I think it's a symbol of government resentment.

9. BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit Registered Member

If it represents the desire to reform the government, then why fly it next to an American flag? Though I don't see it as an offensive sign, I see it as outdated and irrelevant.

10. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I think that Alexander Stephens' Cornerstone Speech might have something to do with why Northerners associate the rebel flag with racism and white supremacist movements.