• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Realignment Issue...

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I am not a big fan of this whole realignment and my issues with it does not start at 14 in the West and 16 in the East. That's the least of my worries. There's a fundamental flaw with this new realignment and it affects the playoffs and the playoff format. For whatever reasons, the new format has the first round only happen between teams in the new divisions whereas before teams were paired up based on their seeding from the conference. So with this new realignment, you could have Stanley Cup contenders and even favourites play off in the first round. Sure it might make for a good first round but it kills the second round. Montreal and Tampa Bay could end up with the 3rd and 4th best record in the East and they will play each other in the first round. That's just one example. Under the old system these two teams would get the 5th and 6th 'best' teams in the conference...

What's my suggestion going forward if we are to keep these divisions and conferences...

East and West remain. Pacific, Central, Atlantic and Metropolitan remain. Instead, for the playoffs, only two teams from each division get a berth in the playoffs. The remaining 4 spots in each conference is to be decided on regular season standings within the conference (So four Wild Cards instead of two).

The first round will have teams paired based on conferences. Each divisional winner will play the 7th and 8th seed, with the divisional winner with the highest points taking on the 8th. The two second place teams in each division will take on the 5th and 6th teams with the highest points taking on the 6th. This way you are rewarding each divisional winner with the "weaker" first round match up.

The second round will toss everything and everyone in the washing machine. It will be based on regular season records. So once again, 1st will take on 8th, 2nd on 7th, 3rd on 6th and 4th on 5th.

The third round will once again be seeded based on regular season standings.

Your Presidents Cup and whatever they call the East and West ones will be rewarded based on where teams finished in the regular season so they can touch the fucker if they want.

There's one big problem left that needs to be addressed with this format. To bring in this format the NHL needs to adopt 3point games. All games are worth 3 points (Regulation or Overtime). There have been over 200 loser points given out this season... might as well make all games worth three points and rid ourselves of this silliness. Right? 3 points for regulation, 2 points for an overtime/shootout win, 1 point for an overtime/shootout loss and obviously 0 for losing in regulation.

/thoughts?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Baseball 15
S Hockey 6
Millz Hockey 5
lescamil Hockey 9
Major College Sports 43