The Ramifications of Linguistic Laziness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PretzelCorps, Jul 31, 2009.

1. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Let it be known that I was the first to make this prediction:

1. The word "lol" will officially become a spoken word (pronounced "lawl") within 5 - 10 years, predominantly among the youth, starting as a trendy thing to say. (Kinda the same way the definition of "cool" suddenly changed in the early 20th century)
    2. The word "lol" will be accepted into the Oxford English Dictionary within 15 - 30 years, with a definition as follows; Lol (pn.?) 1. To indicate amusment; "Lol. I find that to be funny."
    3. The word "lol" will be commonly accepted as normal in written dialogue, within literature and the like, within 30 - 50 years.
    4. The word "lol" might even be unblinkingly accepted on university level written material within 300+ years, once we and our children are all gone.

Seem like a scary thought to you?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    Impact likes this.

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

It does seem kind of scary, yeah, but when you put it into perspective it's not that big of a deal. Since of course language has been 'evolving' and changing right from when it was first created you can't expect these things not to happen. I just hope that we don't lose the use of the more sophisticated words in our vocab.
    Reading old text, especially poems and plays from say the 17th century, is like reading a work of art, it's so different and beautiful compared to what we're like nowadays, but maybe one day we'll do full circle and come back to more elaborate forms of writing. Wishful thinking, perhaps. :lol:

3. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Anon, prithee!

Such archaic words are beautiful to read, yes, but you just can't help but wonder if they came about through such underwhelming means as the word "lol" did. :lol:

4. sb1732

sb1732 Registered Member

Hate to break it to you but this already happens. Haha, there are already people who say 'lol' in normal everyday conversation.

And everything else you said i agree with. I think it's highly possible.

5. LittleGlassVial

LittleGlassVial Registered Member

I find this to be terrifying. The use of instant messaging and texting is encouraging the youth of today to laze in their use of the English language (and other languages I'm sure, but I'm going to discuss what I know). With each generation, less and less kids know or appreciate how to use proper grammar and spelling. Students' grades are dropping and less and less children actually know that there is a different between "there" "their" and "they're," let alone using the right one. A huge gap between adults and children, right now, is being created in regards to this.

I might say a sentence like this to you.
    But.
    sum1 else wuld b tlkin lyk dis 2u

It's not just about "LOL" anymore. The simple "LOL" has lead to more abbreviations, different misspellings and an overall lack of concern about writing in general. It's not an evolution of the language, it's a butcher. And I'm truly afraid of what the future might have to offer for languages.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I won't be surprised if that happened. They already added meh (was that last year?), so why not lol?

7. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

As much as I say "lol" on the Internet, I never say it out loud. The sound of laughter covers that just fine.

8. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

If it gets to a stage where I hear people saying "lol" out loud instead of laughing, I think i'm going to quit on humanity.

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I've oddly enough been saying "lawl" out loud lately. Mostly just out of sarcastic "I want to laugh but shouldnt be laughing" situations.

Like for instance the earlier this weekend I spotted a crazy pigeon lady with a shopping cart. The shopping cart took a wicked bump and caught a rock or something and she let go of it. I spotted it as it was happening, right before it slammed into the back of a BMW I pointed, notified Kim and said "Hah! Lawl".

10. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I feel this is the perfect (and only way) to use it outloud. Ha.