• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss The pursuit of "cool"

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have never consider myself to be a especially cool person in the social occasions. I maybe seen to be cool but I have never known what it is or what it takes to be cool.

Back in high school being cool and hanging out with cool people was something I think a lot of people aspired to, if you were not cool you were the loser that if we believe tv shows and movies would end up in the massive bins or get your head shoved into a toilet. I am very luck in that I did not have this problem. I basically stuck in the background and stayed out of the way. It worked for me.

What do you consider to be cool? Were you cool in high school and how did you do it? Did it bother you if you were not?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
What is cool? I guess I was cool because I smoked, drank, went to parties and clubs from the age of 15 years old and experimented with different kinds of drugs and too much alcohol over the 10 years that followed. How cool is that?

Society and it's expectations are so messed up. I love people who aren't considered cool. They are the real gems of society. I've always had a lot of friendships in different groups. I was friends with the geeks, the freaks, the jocks, the nerds and the "cool" gang. Every single person has something extraordinary they offer. I like seeing those parts of people and wish everyone could see that and stop judging people on what they consider to be "cool".

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I always found that most of the 'cool' people in high school were also the well off kids, stuck up, thought they were better than everyone else. So no I didn't aspire to be part of that crowd. I didn't like them for the most part or the way they treated other people that they looked at as being below them.

Elanor

Registered Member
I was never part of the 'cool' crowd at school. I was happy to the quiet one in the corner. Most of the 'cool' kids struck me as the ones who didn't care what they said to other people, and were often the bitchiest girls in school. There were some who thought they were amazing and for some weird reason wanted to be like them.

I was happy to not be part of that crowd. I had my friends and that was fine for me.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
What is cool is different to every person. Some people think it's cool to do drugs and drink heaps. Others don't. My own version of cool was more along the lines of people who owned lots of books and gaming consoles haha, or people who worked in movies. I also always thought actors were kinda cool, but definitely not the type who are in the headlines for drink driving and crap like that. Cool is different for everyone.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I always tried too hard to be cool when I was younger, but sadly that's kind of what most kids feel they have to do either to fit in, or get noticed by girls, or not get picked on, etc. Looking back on it, I'm pretty ashamed of the person I was and some of the things I did.

My definition of cool is totally different now. I don't care how they dress or what kind of car they drive or how much they can drink. To me, 'cool' is being fun, care free, honest, comfortable in your own skin, and an all-around good person.

Misdoubt

Registered Member
I never exactly did what others did. I was always on my own groove and people just kind of followed, it got my far as far as high school goes and popularity was kind of something I'd gotten used to (Wow what an accomplishment right? Definitely useful now in life.)

I was open to everyone and everything and I wasn't afraid to do what I wanted or felt like saying or whatever really, I wasn't constrained by conformity and petty fads.

What is cool? I guess I was cool because I smoked, drank, went to parties and clubs from the age of 15 years old and experimented with different kinds of drugs and too much alcohol over the 10 years that followed. How cool is that?

Society and it's expectations are so messed up. I love people who aren't considered cool. They are the real gems of society. I've always had a lot of friendships in different groups. I was friends with the geeks, the freaks, the jocks, the nerds and the "cool" gang. Every single person has something extraordinary they offer. I like seeing those parts of people and wish everyone could see that and stop judging people on what they consider to be "cool".
Yeah I agree 100 percent. I did those things cus I don't like bashing things without having done them before but honestly the time wasted just wasn't worth it.

I floated between clicks as well and tried to make friends with everyone cus I didn't see a point in limiting myself and missing out experiences I thought were really cool. The school I went to was fairly small in the first place and different groups mingled all the time, but I tried my best to really get into each of them and learn and take something from each experience, plus it never hurt knowing so many people.