The Psychology of the Debater

How often do you feel you win debates at GF?

• 81-90%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71-80%

• 61-70%

• 51-60%

• 41-50%

• 31-40%

• 21-30%

• 11-20%

• Total voters

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
So, we have a good handful of people here who really seem to enjoy a healthy debate. And by healthy, I mean heated.

Why do you think that is? Why do you think people tend to not back down?

Do you think people expect to change people's minds or are they mostly looking to catch their opponents in a slip up and call them out, more or less winning the debate in their own eyes?

Do you feel you've ever lost a debate here at GF? Do you feel you've ever won one?

I would guess that most people would say they win 90% or more of the debates that they take part in. The funny thing is that I highly doubt anybody will say they think they only win 10%. :lol:

So, please vote in this poll and discuss. "How often do you feel you win debates at GF?"

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
So, we have a good handful of people here who really seem to enjoy a healthy debate. And by healthy, I mean heated.

Why do you think that is? Why do you think people tend to not back down?

Do you think people expect to change people's minds or are they mostly looking to catch their opponents in a slip up and call them out, more or less winning the debate in their own eyes?

Do you feel you've ever lost a debate here at GF? Do you feel you've ever won one?

I would guess that most people would say they win 90% or more of the debates that they take part in. The funny thing is that I highly doubt anybody will say they think they only win 10%. :lol:

So, please vote in this poll and discuss. "How often do you feel you win debates at GF?"
I don't try and change people's minds, I try and get them to see my views and perhaps others they aren't paying attention to. I like playing devil's advocate and bringing up tough questions. Despite what one or two people may think, I'm not trying to "win" anything. It bugs me when people are narrow minded or one sided, that's why I like to push. Not to anger or annoy people, but in hopes they'll second guess themselves or at least give thoughts to an opposing viewpoint. I've given up on a few threads simply because some people are hopeless and you can't change that, but for the most part I'm persistent because I don't believe in backing down.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't believe anyone ever wins a debate here.

I'm not sure what the poll has to do with the thread title.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.

Reading the thread helps, Jean.

It's more of a comedic purpose I'd guess, to see if people actually believe they win threads. For example, I voted 100% just because I want to see people take me seriously when in all honesty, I don't think I "win" any debate since I'm not looking to "win" by any traditional means.

Wade8813

Registered Member

That's not true. It's rare, but there have been times when I've admitted that I was wrong and the other person right, and there have been times they've admitted I was right.

And there are times when it's obvious to everyone (other than the poster) that the poster is grasping at straws and defending an untenable position.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I'm going to go ahead and imagine the debates on GF as non-zero-sum games, scored on the basis of intellectual honesty. In that case, I win 99.9%, but so do a considerable number of posters. Not so sure about some others....

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I do enjoy debating quite a bit, especially if it's a subject that I am well versed in. It's hard to explain, because I really enjoy the banter going back and forth, but it stops being enjoyable when people start making personal snipes or jabs. That is why I do not debate here more often, it seems to happen a lot. People get upset at something you say and take it personal, or because you debate one of their opinions, they take it personally and in turn make unneeded snipes.

So I would say that I enjoy debating for the friendly banter, but I do not "win" any debates that I partake in. Which is very minimal. lol

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I've never walked into a debate to change someone else's opinions or beliefs. I'm a firm believer in making your own damn mind.

Therefore, since I've never entered a debate with a competetive stake I wouldn't say I've ever 'won' or 'lost'. On the other hand, I can't deny the semi-thrill of triumph as common sense rules all but that's just because it's no different than any other ego inflation. It's nice to be able to say "I was right", but that doesn't mean I would.

See, I know I have my own flawed ideas, and I know I have my own opinions and beliefs. I'd like to think for the most part that they're based on logic and common sense, but I could never, ever say they were wholly right and truthful. :dunno:

Besides; most people are too stubborn to accept 'defeat', by admitting they're wrong. Have I myself admitted to being wrong in a debate? Sure, when I can see that I actually am wrong, by fact and truth and not just opinion and belief.

So, for those reasons, I don't think I could say I've ever won or lost a debate, since I only debate to express my own opinions and to push my mental limits if possible. I'd like to imagine that I have the weight of common sense behind my arguments but I wouldn't deign to believe so every time. :)

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
A good and efficient debate shouldn't last more than a couple of posts, if indeed no one is trying to change the other one's mind.

Thats why it always makes me confusion when members in forums, not just this one, love to do multi-quotes and try to prove the opposite opinion as wrong using their own beliefs to justify it.

~If he or she disagrees with you, move on.