• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The price of Trading Cards etc

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I can't believe how much these things cost, especially second-hand. I actually can't stand them. My Son has more Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Dual-Master cards than I can count, and he still keeps collecting [at my expense] and now the latest thing is Bakugans.... the price of them is phenominal!!! When I first saw him with them, I thought it was some crappy freebie thing he got. It's far from being 'free.'

Xeilo

V.I.P.
I used to collect the early Pokemon ones when I was little, didn't spend too much money on it but, mostly because my parents wouldn't;t let me.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I used to collect the early Pokemon ones when I was little, didn't spend too much money on it but, mostly because my parents wouldn't;t let me.
Do you still have them? Selling them individually, you'd likely make a nice profit on E-Bay.

Xeilo

V.I.P.
Nah I don't lol, when I stopped using them I gave them to my younger brother and he either lost them or passed them on to someone else.

BigBob

Registered Member
I've got about 1,000 Yu-gi-oh cards and about 1,000 Pokemon cards sitting in my closet from when I was littler. I'd sell them on E-Bay if given the chance.

Xeilo

V.I.P.
I've got about 1,000 Yu-gi-oh cards and about 1,000 Pokemon cards sitting in my closet from when I was littler. I'd sell them on E-Bay if given the chance.
You may be sitting on a gold mine!

Wade8813

Registered Member
Kids like expensive things, whether trading cards, video games, or whatever. It's up to the parent(s) how much they want to fund their kids' hobbies, or if they want the kids to buy the stuff themselves.

When I was younger, I might get trading cards or video games for my birthday or Christmas, but other than that, I pretty much had to buy them myself.

And of course they cost so much. It's simple supply and demand.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
My Son is only 10 [and he IS richer than I am] but I still buy for him. He will end-up paying me back one way or another...
[so I think/hope].

He said when I'm older, I can come live with him and his wife in MY house which will be his when I die, so I guess his looking after me will be repayment enough, just so long as he does'nt mean 'looking after me' Mafia style.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I would just sit on them for now, the market is flooded with the cards and they aren't selling for the high prices anymore. All the kids who got into them at the start years ago are now selling off their cards and driving the market way down.

One thing to remember is that the value might be high but getting someone to pay the premium price is the trick.

Now is not a good time to try and sell of your cards..Wait a few years and all the kids who played with them will eventually want to buy their childhood memories back and then that's where the big bucks come in.

Trust me on this I have been in the collectible world (owned one of the biggest toy and comic/collectible shops out there) for over 20 years now and make a living off of selling people back their childhood memories.

Right now all sales are way down, so just hold onto your cards for better days.