• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The price of children.......

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
A little wisdom from my cousin....I thought it was good

The Price of Children

This is just too good not to pass on to all. Something absolutely positive for a change. I have repeatedly seen the breakdown of the cost of raising a child, but this is the first time I have seen the rewards listed this way. It's nice.

The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140 for a middle income family. Talk about sticker shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition. But $160,140 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into:

* $8,896.66 a year,

* $741.38 a month, or

* $171.08 a week.

* That's a mere $24.24 a day!

* Just over a dollar an hour.

Still, you might think the best financial advice is don't have children if you want to be "rich." Actually, it is just the opposite. What do you get for your $160,140?

* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!

* Glimpses of God every day.

* Giggles under the covers every night.

* More love than your heart can hold.

* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.

* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm
cookies.

* A hand to hold, usually covered with jelly or chocolate.

* A partner for blowing bubbles, flying kites

* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the
boss said or how your stocks performed that day.

For $160,140, you never have to grow up. You get to:

* finger-paint,

* carve pumpkins,

* play hide-and-seek,

* catch lightning bugs, and

* never stop believing in Santa Claus.

You have an excuse to:

* keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh,

* watching Saturday morning cartoons,

* going to Disney movies, and

* wishing on stars.

* You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets and collect spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother's Day, and cards with backward letters for Father's Day.

For $160,140, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to be a hero just for:

* retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof,

* taking the training wheels off a bike,

* removing a splinter,

* filling a wading pool,

* coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and coaching a baseball team that never wins but always gets treated to ice cream regardless.

You get a front row seat to history to witness the:

* first step,

* first word,

* first bra,

* first date, and

* first time behind the wheel.

You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and great
grandchildren. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match. In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits, So . one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost. That is quite a deal for the price!!!!!!!

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
wow that's awesome Angel!!

I have always heard the price of raising kids blah blah blah. but never seen it put that way. made me cry! LOL but I'm so sentimental anyway : )

thank you for sharing.

Julie

Registered Member
**sniff, sniff**...aaawww, heck..."WAAAHAAAHH!"

You just had to make me cry, didn't ya?

Thanks for sharing, this was so truthful & so beautiful!

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
do I dare........ do I dare................

do I..............

dare................................

Ok, enough sentimental bullcrap. Here's the best way to put it:

The cost of raising children = your life

Let's face it. All that sentimental stuff is nice. In fact, one could make the argument that all of that crap is indeed the very kind of stuff that makes life itself worth living. But the plain and simple matter is that the outside world doesn't cease to exist just because you (or anybody) decide to have a child. The hard story is that when you have a child, you STILL have to have money, you STILL have to worry about your own needs, and now that you have another life to be responsible for, you have to expend the energy necessary to support that OTHER life as well. Even for the best of us, the odds are good that the product of our every decision is going to come out at least a little differently when we have kids than when we don't. And you all know this is true too. It's a different life, a different world, and not something that can be overlooked and ignored. Having a child is a big step, and even if you don't really care about money or being rich or any of that stuff, it's still going to change the very extent of freedom and course in your life.

I'm done.

Julie

Registered Member
00vega said:
Ok, enough sentimental bullcrap. Here's the best way to put it:

The cost of raising children = your life

Let's face it. All that sentimental stuff is nice. In fact, one could make the argument that all of that crap is indeed the very kind of stuff that makes life itself worth living. But the plain and simple matter is that the outside world doesn't cease to exist just because you (or anybody) decide to have a child. The hard story is that when you have a child, you STILL have to have money, you STILL have to worry about your own needs, and now that you have another life to be responsible for, you have to expend the energy necessary to support that OTHER life as well. Even for the best of us, the odds are good that the product of our every decision is going to come out at least a little differently when we have kids than when we don't. And you all know this is true too. It's a different life, a different world, and not something that can be overlooked and ignored. Having a child is a big step, and even if you don't really care about money or being rich or any of that stuff, it's still going to change the very extent of freedom and course in your life.
Yep, and it's ALL worth it.

The moment they come into the world & let out that first cry, you are crying right along with them because you're so happy they're finally here & that they are healthy. You're overcome with an undescribable joy & will have many more of those moments for years to come.

When you hold them for the first time & they look into your eyes & wrap their tiny hand around your finger, you melt inside. Then thru all the sleepless nites & diaper changes & being spit-up on, you have the moments of their first words, their first steps, their hugs & kisses.

You deal with more expensive trips to the grocery store, finding yourself always drawn to the baby, toy, & children's sections at department stores, numerous illnesses & trips to the doctor's office, among an army load of other expenses. But you always find a way to make it work.

You also get endless smiles, giggles, hugs, kisses, "I Love You's", & affection that makes your heart melt every time.

Yep, when you have a child your life is forever changed. And you can't imagine how you possibly were able to live without them before.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Just to clarify things, I want to state here that in that last post, I wasn't passing an absolute judgement on child raising (in case anybody was getting concerned). I feel that the positive side of the picture was obvious, and the intro post to this topic covered that pretty well. I was only providing the other side of the picture. A lot of young people my age don't think about that before they have children. And more often than not, they wind up getting themselves into trouble. That's just what I've seen. But if you're ready for it and can handle it, that's great. That's all I meant to say (again, in case anybody had doubts). But I think everybody knows this. Not like I'm telling anyone anything new.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
* That's a mere $24.24 a day!

Dang, I'm forking over $96.96 per day. No wonder I work so much and am still broke. Oh well, maybe I can get a few of them to be doctors.