The Power of Editing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yooperchick, Dec 19, 2005.

1. yooperchick

yooperchick Registered Member

I think we all know that a big part of any movie is the editing.

Now, here is a really good example of how editing can influence what you think of something.

Remember the movie "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson? You know...that horror movie where he says, "Here's Johnny" and where we learned about REDRUM? Scary stuff - a horror classic.

With that in mind, watch this trailer in Quicktime format:

http://www.ps260.com/molly/SHINING%20FINAL.mov

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Actually I never saw it.. but assuming it's actually a horror movie, that trailer is hilarious. I'd like to see it now.

What I would really love to see is a new movie come out with a nice happy trailer like that, and end up being a horror movie. LOL!

3. yooperchick

I found what "appears" to be the original trailer. I say "appears" because I haven't rented the DVD and viewed the trailer they have on there. I was too young to see the actual one when it was out.

Just the music on this one is creeping me out. Again, this is in QuickTime format.

http://www.patricklarkin.com/trailers/theShining-trailer.mov

4. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

That would be awesome, play something like that, people go into see a family film, and BOMB. He kilss three within the first 30 hr. Oh yeah, I could go for that kind of a movie and trailer.

Now that is a good trailer, the new one you found. I was on the edge just watching and listening to the music.

5. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

Oh good lord, I HOPE the movie isn't 30 hours long. That's a horror in and of itself! :sick:

6. yooperchick

For those of you who may not have seen The Shining, maybe you have seen Psycho. Here's one for that movie, turning it from a horror film to a love film (QuickTime format):

http://www.movietrailertrash.com/views/demos/psycho_hi.mov

What happened was that there was a contest to take a film, and recut a trailer for it so it would be in a completely different genre. The one with The Shining won - personally I think they did a really good job.

7. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

I don't remember them getting down and kissing and rubbing in bed. Was that in the original version? Another guy perhaps? Something seems odd about those last two shots.

8. yooperchick

You can't really tell in the "new" trailer, but that's not Norman in the bed. At the beginning of the original, she's in bed with a different guy. Her and Normal didn't do all the rubbing. Every shot in the trailer is in the original, it's just all jumbled up.

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

The one for the Shining is pretty cool. Makes it look like a totally different movie. Music and narrating can make the biggest difference in something like a movie trailer.

10. yooperchick

I've edited a few things together before (for classes and such) and it was so much fun. You can do so much without adding huge special effects. It's all a matter of how you splice things together and the music. The music makes such a difference too.