The Pledge of Allegiance

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Should the Pledge of Allegiance be recited in American schools?

As it stands, this is the current version of the Pledge:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
I don't believe that the "under God" part should have to be said. It wasn't even added until the 1950's. (because of the Red Scare, I believe, if I remember my history right.)

A few years ago when I was a senior in high school, I was an atheist and I always purposefully never said that part. :lol:

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I don't believe that the "under God" part should have to be said. It wasn't even added until the 1950's. (because of the Red Scare, I believe, if I remember my history right.)
Ya but to the point where the ACLU has a hissy fit over it and feels the need to ban it from schools? I agree, you don't have to say it if you don't want to, but don't infringe on my right to say it. That's just my view.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Pledge? Yes.

God? No.

We were founded by men who didn't even agree on religion, why should we be forcing it on our children?

Iris

rainbow 11!
I think we should have the option to choose to stand/say it at all. I know when I don't stand, I get the 3rd degree from my teacher and she makes you stand.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
No, but it should not be in the pledge period, it's creating an alliance between the US and God and it doesn't matter what you believe, that shouldn't be allowed according to our laws. I'm not calling for it to be banned, I'm calling for "under God" to be removed since no one has the right to push their religion on other people, especially impressionable minds.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Ya but to the point where the ACLU has a hissy fit over it and feels the need to ban it from schools? I agree, you don't have to say it if you don't want to, but don't infringe on my right to say it. That's just my view.
But it wasn't even in the pledge, it was added in the 1950's, it isn't denying you any right.

Perhaps what I hate most about "God" being added into everything is that it gives uneducated people the false belief that America was founded on Christianity, and that pretty much bothers me more than anything else.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
No one is forcing them to say it, banning it from school is forcing me not to say it.
Implicit pressure on those that refuse has legal precedent- the banning of prayer and schools was done for several reasons, this being one of them.

Nobody is banning you from saying it, just not in a government employee-led practice in a government building.