The Phrase 'How Come'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scissorhands, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Scissorhands

Scissorhands Registered Member

I was speaking to someone earlier today and they asked me if I had got a graphics card for my computer yet and I said no. Their response was "How come?"

Basically, my whole world stopped to contemplate this phrase. He asked me and I knew what he meant, but I for some reason couldn't accept that "how come" is lateral to "why not?" Seriously? The word HOW refers to the act of something; something being done. The word COME (in a non perverted -cum- sense) is a word that is related to movement. I sat here and I thought about this for a good hour or two now and I just don't get it. I guess I could google it and see what it says, but I wanna see if anyone here knows? Is this just evolved slang? WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THIS PHRASE?

Dekzper likes this.

2. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

No it is ACTUALLY ridiculous! Up here people take it even further with "How comes it" WTAF!!!!????

It's on par with "innit" and "as if"

Try urban dictionary.

3. k3rm0r

k3rm0r Registered Member

r u nt dwn w d slang man............

4. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

It's because no one speaks proper English any more; how come, in a way, is kind of like a short cut for why not.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I hate you, Scissors. Now I'm just going to have to blank this entire thread out of my mind, because I don't want to think about it and get a headache.

6. Dekzper

Dekzper Registered Member

It's practically prehistoric, LOL! I think it's from Hebrew to English translations (including the Christians' bible). I've read some of that book (not willingly) and an over-used phrase is "It came to pass". So if ya do "How it came to pass" and shorten that, it becomes "How come". Weird, antique, and still being used.

7. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I see nothing wrong with it. What's actually ridiculous is how grammatically correct we have to be nowadays. How come has been said for years. Ive said it since I was a little kid. You can bitch about people saying howzit, whatcha, shit like that. It's all the same, you know what it means, so what's really wrong with it?

8. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

If I had to guess I'd say it's a derivative of the question:

"How did you arrive at this situation?"

- which would be perfectly acceptable to ask. The term "come" isn't just a word for movement; more accurately, it's a word meaning "arrival". So this is only a guess on my part based on that.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  9. Scissorhands

Scissorhands Registered Member

Ah! Wicked good answer. Go VIP and buy me a VIP and I will rep you for that! Haha. Problem solved!

Well, when people say How's it going, they say exactly what they mean. Howzit can't be used in this instance because Howzit sounds just like How's it. But How Come is totally different than why not. No relation here.

Whatcha doing? What ya doing? What are you doing? Still off topic.

How come opposed to why not. That's what this is. Not things that sound the same but may look different on paper.

10. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

How come 'how come' bothers you so much?