• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The pen is mightier than the sword

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
The Pen is mightier.

With only a few strokes of the pen, this can change or even take the lives of many, an entire country or even the world. While the sword is only designed with one intention, to take life, one at a time.

Just my thoughts

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
No, a pen can't cut your FACE off.

Literally, anyway.

Figuratively yes, the written word can cause more and longer-lasting damage.

Dabs

Registered Member
No, a pen can't cut your FACE off.

Literally, anyway.

Figuratively yes, the written word can cause more and longer-lasting damage.

Actually, there is something that is mightier than both the pen and a sword, it can cause more damage than those two things. It's the mouth. What you say to people, can haunt them or eat away at them and live with them forever.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Those who are physically minded will favor the sword as the pen will rarely sway them.

However, those who master the pen can craft the very world they live in. Think about it. Perfect example: more people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Those who are physically minded will favor the sword as the pen will rarely sway them.

However, those who master the pen can craft the very world they live in. Think about it. Perfect example: more people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason.
But the act is not perpetrated with a pen is it? More like a knife, or a gun, or bare hands, or a rock or of course a sword.

Are we seriously suggesting that something written down is powerful enough to persuade us into using the implement of death anyway. Against better judgement -
Oddly enough this is one weird example, mostly because it's true, and also because well God's word suggests living without killing and the like... WTF is up with the world. It's ruddy barmy.

I mean, surely we have more control over that. I mean (and I admit this is a pretty basic point) but if someone handed me a piece of paper saying.
"Kill 'so-and-so' - 'these are the reasons' Yours sincerely 'some bloke'." --
No matter who had written it, or if it was in a fancy Cyan colour, I'm sure I'd be of mind to refuse the request/order. -- Is this saying only pertinent to older generations?

*I've probably dragged this premise/thread/thing somewhere else entirely now*

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Are we seriously suggesting that something written down is powerful enough to persuade us into using the implement of death anyway.
Google "the crusades".

Oddly enough this is one weird example, mostly because it's true, and also because well God's word suggests living without killing and the like...
Yeah, if that's the flavor of God you believe in. Almost all iterations of God are perfectly okay with killing so long as its those who break God's rules.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Of course it is. You can't write with a sword but you could kill someone with a pen. ;)

Words can sway your decision where as the sword would force the decision.

Last edited: