The other day at the office...

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by Boredie, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I had a conversation with my boss which went something like the following:

Did I do right?
    Is there somehow I can be more confident?

Swiftstrike likes this.

2. TheMaster

TheMaster Registered Member

Lol, this seems confusing, I don't see how you could be more confident, just take note of what you've done in the office.

3. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I think you handled it fine, at least that is similar to how I would have had that conversation.

To me it seems you need some sort of system to track what invoices have gone out. What we do at my work, is enter all invoices into the accounting program we use that have not been sent as orders, then just click the invoice button as we send them out so we can keep track of what has and hasn't gone. See if you can do this, that way there will be no confusion. If you can't then each week keep a list of every invoice you have sent. It may take up a little more time, but at least your boss will see you're trying to avoid any future issues.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

unprofessional my ass

We call all the time checking proposals and invoices that we've sent to our vendors & customers.

In fact I'd say its almost unprofessional to not call up and check.

Think of it this way, you're communicating through some sort of 3rd party source (ie: Faxing, Mailing, or Email)... unless you hand deliver that invoice or proposal yourself, you have absolutely no way of knowing whether your clients actually received it or not. Things happen between communication methods, faxes get messed up, fall of the machine, or fall victim to some sort of human error. Emails get locked up in transition, don't get sent properly, or sent in the wrong format. Mailing takes a while and sometimes mail gets lost.

I've now had 5 years of college pursuing an education in Business. When it comes to Ethics and Marketing, there is no such thing as Unprofessionalism when you're communicating with your customers. To think otherwise is way to arrogant and assuming. Not to mention Archaic.

You did the right thing by contacting the recipients of the questioned invoices.

if you cant believe that, think of it like this. Whats worse? Calling and questioning whether or not they've received the invoices.... or sending it a second time or just not at all?

My 5 years of College says you did the right thing. My 10+ years worth of observing Businesses in action first hand backs that up.

5. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

You did everything right. The only thing I would suggest changing is, instead of asking if they received it, tell them you're folowing up on an invoice you mailed out and ask if they have any questions. If they don't have it, they'll let you know.
    I forget what I have or haven't done all the time, so I have a few tricks.:lol:

6. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I had a system (relatively new, though). Keeping copies of all invoices we sent out. We didn't have a copy and therefore I said we didn't send it. But because he was so sure of himself that we did, it made me lose confidence whether we sent it/forgetting to make a copy.

Thank you icegoat! I needed to hear something like that, my thoughts were on the same track, but with no experience through business school I could hardly tell him that.

:) Great tip, thanks Angels!

7. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Funny. My supervisors would have pulled the same thing at my job.

At my CPA firm we only contacted clients regarding questions that we ourselves didn't know the answer to. But it was reserved pretty much as a last resort unless we were bugging them to send us information.

We hardly every called a client regarding something "we thought" we recieved or thought that "we sent".

That would be seen as completely unprofessional. There were a few times I thought we received something and my manager didnt think we did. But he would hesitate to call unless it was absolutely necessary. And that wasn't his policy. That was something the higher-up partners implemented.

Essentially we couldn't "look or sound stupid" in any way. And my firm viewed asking a client for some information we thought, we sent him/her or what we received from him/her would seem stupid.

It was completely contrary to what I learned in college.

It really just depends how conservative the business is. Accounting firms are pretty conservative probably only beaten out by banks. So we saw contacting and bugging the client about a "maybe" as unprofessional. I am sure a small business owner would not view it the same way.

I fucking hate the business world.