• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The one thing electric cars will always miss.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
A manual transmission. I don't know of many, if any, electric cars that come standard with the ability to row the gears. Us dinosaurs will forever be stuck with used petrol vehicles to get our fix. Anything they come up with in the future for an electric car just won't have the same feel.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn’t be surprised to at least see paddle shifters. I’ve used those before on a car that had them as an option. I think it was a Mustang. Basically I could drive in auto or switch to “sports mode” and use the paddle shifters. Not quite the same as having it on the floor but it was a nice added feature.

Doc

V.I.P.
I drove a 'Vette Grand Sport with the flappy paddles. It was fitting for that vehicle. I can't see flappy paddles doing much for an economy car or consumer grade SUV, however. I can see it in a performance SUV.

dDave

V.I.P.
Electric cars will definitely have to leave some really cool things in the past. It's unfortunate but it's the way it has to be.

The cool thing about electric cars though, there is no engine that needs to rev up to produce power. That means all your torque is available immediately. Awesome for acceleration.

I remember seeing this clip on Top Gear years ago.

Doc

V.I.P.
Clarkson loved that car but didn't he pick the gas model over the electric one in the end? I don't remember.

Still, that electric Merc was off the hook. It can't have that great of a range?

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
If I own an electric car someday that doesn't come with a manual transmission, it won't feel different to me because I've hardly ever driven a car with a manual transmission before. I've practically always driven cars with an automatic transmissions.