The Official St. Louis Cardinals vs. Cincinnati Reds thread 05/06/06

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Vegito728, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

Okay here's my preview of game 1.

Pitching matchup
    CIN: LHP Brandon Claussen (3-6, 5.40)
    Claussen hopes to end a string of mediocre outings that's seen him give up at least four runs in each of his last three starts and notch just one victory in his last six outings. He'll need to be sharp against a dangerous St. Louis lineup that has fared quite well against him in the past.

STL: RHP Jeff Suppan (5-4, 5.06)
    After suffering through illness and allowing six runs in his last outing, Suppan rebounded against the Astros his last time out. He delivered a quality performance, allowing three runs in six innings while walking two and striking out two. He had only one perfect inning, but coaxed key outs with men on base, a Suppan trademark.

Player to watch
    Yadier Molina, batting .353 (12-for-34) in his last eight games, could continue his hot streak against Claussen. The St. Louis catcher is hitting an astounding .636 (7-for-11) with five RBIs against the southpaw.

2. Vegito728

Okay here's my review of game 1.

Two years ago, Ken Griffey Jr. hit his 500th home run at old Busch Stadium. His first game at new Busch was pretty memorable, too.

Griffey hit a go-ahead three-run homer off Jason Isringhausen in the ninth inning after tying a major league record by homering in his 43rd stadium earlier in the game, leading the Cincinnati Reds past the St. Louis Cardinals 8-7 Monday night.

Griffey added new Busch Stadium to his lengthy list with a solo shot in the fifth off Jeff Suppan. He hit his 10th homer with one out in the ninth to erase a 7-5 deficit for the Reds, who have won five straight.

Isringhausen (1-3) leads the NL with 18 saves but has allowed four homers in 23 innings and has blown saves in two of his last three appearances.

Juan Encarnacion and pinch-hitter Chris Duncan hit two-run homers and Yadier Molina also homered for the Cardinals, who are 1-1 since Albert Pujols went on the disabled list with a pulled muscle in his right side. They've scored 16 runs without him.

Griffey's second homer denied Suppan, who allowed three runs in six innings, his 100th career victory in his third attempt.

Felipe Lopez doubled off Isringhausen with one out in the ninth for his fourth hit of the game. Rich Aurilia followed with a walk and the runners moved up on a wild pitch. Griffey's homer came on a full count.

Griffey tied a major league record set by Fred McGriff, and has connected in every existing ballpark. He was on the disabled list in mid-April when the Reds played at new Busch for the first time.

Esteban Yan (1-0) allowed one run in two innings, a homer by Yadier Molina in the eighth that put the Cardinals ahead 7-5. Todd Coffey got the last three outs for his third save in four chances.

Griffey has 53 career multihomer games and is 12th on the career homer list, two behind Mike Schmidt. He also doubled in the third and has 1,017 career extra-base hits, two ahead of Schmidt for 22nd place.

Encarnacion, who moved up to fourth in the order on Monday, has four hits and four RBI the last two games and his eighth homer gave the Cardinals a 4-3 lead in the fifth.

Duncan, the son of pitching coach Dave Duncan, was recalled from Triple-A Memphis on Sunday to replace Pujols. He has two homers and five RBI in only seven at-bats after connecting off Rick White in the sixth to put the Cardinals ahead 6-3.

Jim Edmonds replaced Pujols at first base for the second straight game and was 0-for-3 with a walk. Scott Rolen, whose been in Pujols' third slot in both games since the injury, had an RBI single in the first to extend his hitting streak to 10 games and walked twice.

So Taguchi, who has started eight of the last nine games in center field for St. Louis, saved a run in the fourth when he threw out David Ross trying to score on Lopez' two-out single.

Reds-8 - Cardinals-7

And here are some game notes
    Home plate umpire Derryl Cousins took an errant fastball from Yan right off his shoulder and mask in the seventh after the pitch eluded Ross. He dropped to a knee for a time but stayed in the game. ... Reds starter Brandon Claussen is 1-3 with a 5.63 ERA against the Cardinals. ... After the game the Red optioned RHP Justin Germano to Triple-A Louisville and Narron said the team would purchase the contract of RHP Joe Mays.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

What a game from the man Ken Griffey Jr, just when the Cardinals though they where going to win the man comes up with two man on and hits a three run home run. The man is amazing and I love him.

4. Vegito728

Lol I didn't love him to much last night. But I kind of figured we were going to lose when he came up(He's a very good clutch hitter). :-\

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Man only if he didn't get those injuries he'd be in the race for all time homerun list. What I like about him is that it's pure ability unlike barry gay bonds.

6. Vegito728

Ya it's a sad thing. A guy that doesn't use steroids gets hurt all the time and a guy that does never gets hurt. :-\ I think he would already have passed Babe Ruth if he wasn't always hurt.