TV "The Office" Season 5 (US) Discussion w/ Spoilers!

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you haven't yet seen the first episode of season 5, watch it here. You can watch all the newest episodes on NBC's website:

The Office - Full Episodes - Season 5 - Video - NBC.com

[highlight]Spoilers throughout![/highlight]

Anybody watch the first episode of the new Office season yet? I saw it a few days ago (it aired last Thursday) and thought it was pretty funny.

[highlight]Spoilers throughout![/highlight]

I think this new season is going to be interesting.

I thought bringing Ryan back was odd. I kind of ended up hating his character after the last season so I was looking forward to seeing him gone. Same goes for Toby. I didn't mind Toby but what's with writing people out of the show and just bringing them right back? Kind of lame at first glance but I won't stop watching the show over it. Other than that I thought the episode was pretty good.

I was a little worried the Jim/Pam relationship was going to go through another entire season before anything happened after she moved to the city to go to school. That was kind of random and I'm not sure how long that can last. Did she actually quit? That doesn't seem right. I think she'll be back. I mean if Ryan and Toby are back then she definitely isn't getting written out of the plot anytime soon if you ask me.

Dwight's blog is pretty funny periodically too:

Dwight Schrute's Schrute-Space

:lol:

So, thoughts on the first episode of this season?

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Dude! When Jim had called Pam while she was at college in that one scene where she said she'd made friends I could have swore that was gonna be the relationship breaker!

Then it was a real kick to see 'em meet for lunch. I dug that, thought they knocked that scene out of the Park IMHO.

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
I don't think they are bringing Toby back, it was just a little follow up, he's still in Costa Rica. All I could think after that scene was "Poor Toby".

I'm so glad Jim proposed as well, I really didn't want to have to wait long and the way he did it was perfect.

As far as Ryan coming back I think it's funny, he was in management, proved to be a jerk and think he's better then everyone else, and now he's the receptionist and lower then everyone else at the office.

I'm also curious what the plan with Pam is, if she'll move on to another job and simply be in the show because of her relationship with Jim or if she'll be back at the office. I guess we'll ahve to wait and see.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Pam will definitely be back. I was wondering if they were ever going to show Toby again, and then there he was at the end. I thought it was a good episode. Creed is hilarious. "Hell of an ass."

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I really hope they dont focus in on Toby, they had such a good effort of making him the bad guy that I really could care less to see him anymore.

I missed this weeks episode, thinking about itunes'ing it like I do Supernatural....but I dunno if this poor laptop can take that much more abuse :hah:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Toby has good and bad moments. His character is kind of worn out if you ask me.

That being said, I've had a chance to let this latest episode sink in a bit. My original thoughts have changed a bit now.

To be honest The Office has a good chance of getting old this season if the first episode is an example of how the rest of the season will go.

Writing people out only to bring them back no questions is retarded. Honestly the more I think about it, bringing Ryan back is probably some of the worst writing I've ever seen. He was arrested for corporate fraud in the last episode of Season 4. Now he gets hired again by the same company just a month or two later?

I won't lie, I have started to lose faith in this show because of bad writing like that.

And seriously, Toby is paralyzed now? At least it is implied. Knowing how the writers work I'm sure he'll end up being totally fine and working at Dunder Mifflin again, but seriously... I know somebody who was injured at a place I worked and he can never walk again. That's not comedy. That's not even cheesy slapstick. It's offensive to think that the writers think Office fans will laugh about something like that. I hate when comedies get too serious and the Office is headed down a trail of fail lately.

They are going to have to stop just stirring the pot and instead develop some actual believable plots that aren't just more of the same.

/rant

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Looks like Toby is back. Nobody saw that one coming. :rolleyes: I think he's a funny character though, so I don't mind. I just wish they'd get rid of Ryan.

Michael trying to buy pot was hilarious. Best part of tonight's episode by far.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
Looks like Toby is back. Nobody saw that one coming. :rolleyes: I think he's a funny character though, so I don't mind. I just wish they'd get rid of Ryan.

Michael trying to buy pot was hilarious. Best part of tonight's episode by far.
My personal favorite part was the montage of Jim talking about his parents house. Especially when he's trying to pry the painting off the wall.:lol:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I've been getting bored of this show, but I still watch it out of loyalty. I have to say, this was a better episode. I love the Toby/Michael dynamic, and Michael just screaming Noooooooooooo when he first saw Toby cracked me up.

And Michael bought salad for $500. Priceless.
------
Anyone still watching?

I'm at work, and watching the latest episode #18 Golden Ticket. I'm only through the opening credits, but I had the most difficult time ever stifling my laughter from the knock knock jokes.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I didn't think the knock knock jokes were that funny, but the rest of the episode was alright. This show has definitely gone downhill, but I still enjoy watching it. I just wish Michael would get fired. I can't stand him. There's no way he would have a job in the real world.