• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wii The Nintendo Difference!

SamusAran86

Registered Member
For once it actually holds true.

Nintendo planed to pull in gamers and non-gamers. So far I have to say there strategy worked!

Not a day into owning the system, I had my mom playing for 5 hours. She wants one for herself now. AND wanted to get one for my brother for Christmas, but couldnt find one!

Fast Forward to Christmas day. We hosted christmas this year. Everyone who showed up, I had them create there Mii's and play some Wii sports. Everyone got at least one game in before they had to leave for other households. Then the FUN began!

My mother and Mother-in-law were the only ones left. Lets just say my Mother-in-law spent over 7 hours on Wii Bowling alone. All the time we were getting drunk and haveing a blast, the funniest part was when I had her do her Fitness test...

Most if not all of my gamer friends have a Wii. Most of the non-gamers I have shown it to want one.

Should I say it again, (maybe not, but I think I will anyhow)

NINTENDO, Wii have a SMASH hit!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've also heard good things, but I don't know anybody around here who has one, and none of the stores have a demo that people can test out.

I'll have to just wait I guess. :(

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
But plenty of stores have PS3 and 360 displays. It's not that complicated to make a wireless controller work on display.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Scuba... then you obviously never played a Wii game.

Most 'demo' unit stores only use games like 'excite truck' where tilt functionality is used, not games like Wii Sports which show true 'functionality' of the wiimote...

Most stores that have actual demo's of Wii games require you to hand over car keys or wallets in order to handle the Wiimote, just because it CANT be teathered down like the other 2 (so called) next gen systems can be!!! thats EVEN with sonys so called innovation of 'tilt control'!

If my mother and mother in law want a Wii only because of Wii Sports, Nintendo has proven there point of getting non-gamers back into the game.
Just because some graphic loving freak tells you otherwise shouldnt make a difference. The games do!

Until you actually play it, dont knock it, and of you think graphics are important, go to the others, but in my mind

Wii

IS

~The Nintendo Difference~

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree that the Wii definitely has some good stuff going for it and it's good to hear that it's bringing old timers back into the game.

I want to try one but I will have to wait until somebody I know gets one because I doubt I will end up buying one. I'm hardly a fan of console gaming these days anyway.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I didn't knock it, I love the Wii.

And you've never seen the kind of tether you have on the Guitar Hero guitiars? It's just the wire, but it wouldn't be hard to rig a long plastic coated wire (which ARE used) and a brace to keep the 'chuck plugged in. Hook the cable to the brace, and you have a tethered controller.

Yes, you do lose a little functionality, but most of that can be fixed with slack in the tether.

See? Tethered controller.

But anyway, back to the Wii. I want one. I want on bad.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
sure, you could use a 'teathered' controller for games like Zelda and Excite truck...

BUT

There is no way you could possibily do it for games like Wii Sports or Rayman Raving Rabbids, too many different movements, which would make teathering it quite impossible.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
So they should pay a high school kid $5 an hour to stand there and guard the Wiimote. :D

Actually I think they should teather it and just put games in that it will still work with. Some demo is better than NO demo.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Which is why most places that do have demo's rewuire you to have over your wallet or car keys in order to play...

Very smart move in my opinion. Better to play NON-teathered than teathered. Specially since Wii sports can sell anyone on the system itself than any of the others.

TP might be the only really good game to actually teather, but just how would you teather a nun-chuck without altering it?

I as Nintendo would actually rather have less demo's and more people getting the full experiance than tieing someone down!