• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

THe Next Generation

bishop_kain

Registered Member
I actually think there will be no other Video game systems further than what we already made. But some people disagree with me which has got me to wonder... Does this world need anything better than what we have? Is PS3 going to lead toward the PS4? Will the Wii ever become last year's news?

I've seen it happen to many video game systems of the past that dates back to the Atari systems. So what is your thought on the world's lust for better video games? I say again, Do we really need anything better than what we have in front of us?

BlueSamurai

I actually think there will be no other Video game systems further than what we already made. But some people disagree with me which has got me to wonder... Does this world need anything better than what we have? Is PS3 going to lead toward the PS4? Will the Wii ever become last year's news?

I've seen it happen to many video game systems of the past that dates back to the Atari systems. So what is your thought on the world's lust for better video games? I say again, Do we really need anything better than what we have in front of us?

i dont think there will be a ps4..they are already losing so much money..its predicted that it will take them atleast 6 years to make a profit for the ps3 (took a long time for the ps2)..but i think there will be a new PSP tho.

Wii will be strong until nintendo makes something better..the ds will be alive for a long long time.

and the 360 will prob fall to 2nd this generation, but bounce back next gen..

or by next gen all video games will be universal and virtual :D

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
well when I was a kid we had Atari and that was awesome! LOL we couldn't imagine life without it and how cool it was. I think that at the time we didn't think anything could be better than pong :D I remember racing home from school to play that and a game called megamania :nod: now to look back on it we can see how lame it was.

I think the same thing will happen with today's video games. it is already happening. Since the release of the first online video game, you can see how much graphics and game play have seriously changed. and that is just 10 years! :shocked:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well now it's not as much graphics, but physics, effects, and the number of things going on on the screen. Now that graphics have all but caught up with real life in many ways (cars and buildings and non human characters, etc) the main push now is for advanced worlds and environments that feel real.

I'd say there will easily be more gaming systems. The creators of Grand Theft Auto 4 are even now dealing with lag issues when too many things happen at once on the screen. In future generation consoles things like this will be less of an issue.

I wouldn't shut the book on videogames just yet. There are plenty of more consoles on the way.

FourSuits

True Blue Australian
There is always room for improvement, i mean there are firmware updates but the hardware always has kinks.

BlueSamurai

i think in the next generation, video games could dumb down graphics wise..the wii and ds is doing it now, and look how successful its doing over the other systems.

im a big supporter that Gameplay is better than graphics..and if anyone can think of a great expirence for gaming, there is no need for awesome graphics

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well certain games ARE just better with better graphics though. After playing some really good FPS and racing games it's hard to go back to even ones that I once loved if their graphics aren't up to par.

I still play GoldenEye for the N64 every once in a while though. It's one of my favorite games ever so it's going to be hard to put that one on the shelf for good. I'd rather play it with better graphics though if I had the choice.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It would be silly to think that there isn't going to be a next generation of consoles. If anything, they are already in the planning stages of the next generation of consoles. And, if they aren't, they will be within a year's time. The draw of a new console is something that is hard for them to replicate, and all consoles reach their full potential within several years.

It's safe to say that we haven't seen the end of the console wars. I want to see if new companies get involved, the same names keeps it from being very interesting.

Last edited:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well XBOX has only been in the game for one generation prior to the current one. There were technically 4 players when XBOX came out, although SEGA was already on the way out by then.

I doubt SEGA will get back in. There could be a possibility of Apple busting out some sort of Wiipod... hopefully not such a blatant name theft, but I could see Apple making some sort of gaming console along the lines of the Wii. All white and innovative. That seems to be their flavor of life.

Then there is always the possibility that another big name will jump into the mix. That's kind of a wild card though because I can't really think of who else would want to enter the console wars right now.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I would think that the system would come from two or three game developers with backing from a major corporation, or maybe another electronics company hiring on fromanother electronics company. Samsung? HP/Comaq? Dell and Google both have tons of money, and Google is always willing to throw some around.