• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Next Generation of Influential Musicians

Impact

V.I.P.
We all know who the big names are that influence current day musicians within their particular genres: The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Black Sabbath, etc, etc but what current artists do you think will go on to be influential in 10, 20 and even 30 years time?

This is actually tough for me to answer. There is just so much shit around that it's hard to say if they can influence anyone. However, I think a really obvious one to start things off, will be Lady Gaga. Within the pop genre at least. She is so unique, even if you dislike her music, you can't deny how big she is. Eminem is another one, if not already influential. He pretty much opened to door for successful white rappers. Again, even if you dislike him, you know who he is. When it comes to rock though it's a lot harder for me to answer. I want to throw a lot of names out there but i'm having a hard time narrowing it down to a few. I want to see who you all come up with before I answer any more.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Another name that comes up to mind is Rihanna. She's been making a huge name for herself in the last few years. She's one of the most successful female artist right now, and you can put up her up right there with Lady Gaga!

Lady GaGa is very smart, she's going the same route has Madonna did, and it's why she's been so successful. She knows how to sell herself and her music.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber, and all those other insta-stars from american idol and the like. A lot of the younger generation like them, and I can imagine any aspiring singers probably have them as role models *shudder*. I really am not looking forward to music 10 years from now. Although, if metal keeps on track, then we should be fine. Thankfully there are still people out there that care about real music.

Impact

V.I.P.
Taylor Swift isn't so bad Danny, but if future wannabe singers look up to Justin Beiber, Rebecca Black (oh dear god), etc then pop music really will be even more disastrous in the future! I agree though, metal has a lot of solid bands around now to draw on as influences. That's why i'm having trouble answering who will go on to be the most influential in the future, huge choice.

Good call on Rihanna, Biz. I'd completely overlooked her. Although, not really listening to the radio really makes it hard in that genre to say who will be influential. Although, I guess by not listening, i'm at an advantage because I only hear about the really famous/popular ones who are more likely to still be around longer than next week.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Taylor Swift isn't so bad Danny, but if future wannabe singers look up to Justin Beiber, Rebecca Black (oh dear god), etc then pop music really will be even more disastrous in the future! I agree though, metal has a lot of solid bands around now to draw on as influences. That's why i'm having trouble answering who will go on to be the most influential in the future, huge choice.

Good call on Rihanna, Biz. I'd completely overlooked her. Although, not really listening to the radio really makes it hard in that genre to say who will be influential. Although, I guess by not listening, i'm at an advantage because I only hear about the really famous/popular ones who are more likely to still be around longer than next week.
That's true, I suppose. I hate her a lot less now that she's used up all the songs she wrote in highschool, and is writing less teenage girl like lyrics. She's got a good voice at least, not like all that autotune bullcrap.

Elana

V.I.P. Lifetime
Great topic Lauren! The names mentioned so far to me seem as viable answers, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Rhianna, but your right, who is the next great rock/metal influence? That's a tough one indeed! One I will no doubt be thinking of now until one stands out.

As for Bieber... truthfully I feel he is just a puppet with not a whole lot of talent, besides looking cute... He will pass by rather quickly I think. I honestly don't think any girl over the age of 18 listens to him anyways lol.

Impact

V.I.P.
I'm gonna throw Muse out there as a rock band that are gonna be influential in the future, or at least well remembered. I'm still having a hard time thinking of others because i'm obviously biased towards my favourite bands.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm gonna throw Muse out there as a rock band that are gonna be influential in the future, or at least well remembered. I'm still having a hard time thinking of others because i'm obviously biased towards my favourite bands.
Muse are amazing, I saw them live a couple of years ago in a huge outdoor concert and it was such a fantastic experience for me.

I'm going to chuck in DaftPunk as there is more and more electronica music these days and Daft Punk have already been a major influence on that. I can only see their influence growing in the future with this genre and wherever it may be leading. They are also just a much-loved group. Even people who don't usually listen to electronica music tend to like at least some of their earlier tracks (think Discovery).