• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Next Generation of Consoles. (XBOX 720 [Durango], PS 4 [Orbis], Wii U)

Which next-gen console are you the most excited about?

• Sony PlayStation 4 (Orbis)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Xbox 720 (Durango)

• Nintendo Wii U

• None, I hate consoles.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dDave

V.I.P.
After what seems like an endless amount of time on the current generation of consoles (the XBOX 360, PS3, and Wii) I think that all of the developers are finally in the final stretch of development on the next generation of consoles.

Here are the 3 contenders.

Sony Playstation 4 (Orbis) - PlayStation 4 named Orbis, won't play PS3 titles, will block used games - rumor | GamesIndustry International

Sources state that this console is about 1 1/2 years from launch date. It boasts full 1080p 3D games, amazing video power, and all around power. I'm excited to see just how powerful this thing will be. I'm expecting for it to blow the next gen XBOX out of the water.

Microsoft Xbox 720 (Durango) - Next Xbox code-named 'Durango' - Report - GameSpot.com

While Microsoft to this day will not confirm that a successor to the 360 is in the works we all know that it's coming. The 360 really hit it's stride. Though it's graphical capabilities were great years ago they are simply sub-par by today's standards. The 360 has 512mb RAM, a 5400rpm HDD, and a 128mb video card.

The Durango (as it's codename) is rumored to have 2 CPUs with anywhere between 8-24 threads, 16 sounds like a nice number though. Dual GPUs will also be a huge deal. I've even heard it rumored that this thing will have a built in Kinect sensor and will have a SSD instead of a HDD.

The one thing I'm not so sure about with this console is the fact that it may or may not have a disc drive. It's been rumored that Microsoft will make all of their new games downloads only, there will be no discs (though it may have a blu ray player just for movies and backward compatibility). Additionally to monitor piracy and content this console will be connected to Microsoft 100% of the time.

I think this may be dangerous for Microsoft. Pirates will always find a way, especially when you push them into the corner. Let's also not forget the fact that this is going to destroy used game sales entirely.

Nintendo Wii U - Nintendo Responds To Claims of the Wii U’s Shortcomings | RipTen Videogame Blog

It's no secret that Nintendo hasn't really ever focused on creating what we would call a "powerhouse console". Nintendo have always concerned themselves with creating excellent games and not worrying about graphics so much.

As an owner of a Wii I have high hopes for this console. The Wii had a lot of enjoyable titles, but it's one major shortcoming was it's complete lack of games oriented for an older crowd. I think that Nintendo should focus on making their own titles for this, they've done it wonderfully in the past.

On ever generation of consoles (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii) Nintendo has always managed to blow everybody away with their new and innovative controls. The Wii U will have a tablet controller, I think that this is going to be an amazing concept. This type of control will open the door for so much more innovation and will definitely be useful for a lot of new game designs. My only problem here is that it looks really expensive.

While the Wii U won't be a powerhouse it will be more powerful than the PS3 or the 360 I'm sure. The console will work with full 1080p graphical capabilities and Nintendo promises good framerates. Wii U Specs revealed » Gaming/Nintendo News - Zelda Universe

The console is set to release in the third quarter of 2012 (July - September).

I will simply be having one of these.

It is said that the controller will work as a complementary or a supplementary screen. This means that it can duplicate what is seen on the TV or it can show something else entirely (such as a map or item selection screen).

What are you guys most excited about?

Last edited:

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
1 thing I can say is that I am definetly getting a Wii U. I have no doubt that Nintendo will have a wider audience this coming generation. As for Sony and Microsoft, they will put Gamestop and other gaming only retail stores out of business. I really don't see the point on having the option of purchasing the game at the store and having to install it versus just downloading it. It will raise the price on games instead of lowering them in which everybody is hoping for. I will be getting the new XBox when it comes out as well, but I will not touch Sony whatsoever, the framerate issues, the cheap controllers, from the PS3 made me a wise man to choose Microsoft over Sony.

BigBob

Registered Member
I can say that I will not be buying any of the new systems unless I see a dramatic change in the sport's games that I play. Unless the make them like they made the PS2 and XBOX games, which were the best years for sports games, then I will not be purchasing any new system.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's a shame they don't really have any pictures yet of the new xbox and Playstation. I'd really like to see what they look like. I probably won't get a Wii U since I wasn't a fan of the Wii. I won't get any console on release. I didn't even get my PS3 until about 4 or so years after it's release when the newer model was already out. As for the xbox, hmm maybe when it's released I will finally buy a 360 because the price would have dropped. So yeah, I will get a PS4 a while after it's release but not straight away, and I might stay one or two generations behind with the xbox's.

Ziggy

Sup?
I'm actually quite content with the consoles at the moment. I mean are people really complaining about graphical capabilities? Things still look great to me.

But for sake of argument I'm excited for what MS will do with there new console. The 360 is an awesome console and can only get better.

Taliesin

Registered Member
My console of choice will be the Wii U. The tablet controller will be a fun new way to play games, plus you'll be able to use earlier controllers like the Wiimote and the classic with it too. Also, I can't wait to see what the rumoured new Pikmin game will look like on it!

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm very concerned about one thing with the Wii U.

They have already confirmed a new super smash game. Unfortunately the console itself does not have gamecube controller support. At this point I can't imagine playing Super Smash with anything but a gamecube controller. I've been playing the series with those controllers for 11 years. Hopefully somebody finds a way to make that one game compatible because I have a feeling I just won't like it otherwise.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I'm very concerned about one thing with the Wii U.

They have already confirmed a new super smash game. Unfortunately the console itself does not have gamecube controller support. At this point I can't imagine playing Super Smash with anything but a gamecube controller. I've been playing the series with those controllers for 11 years. Hopefully somebody finds a way to make that one game compatible because I have a feeling I just won't like it otherwise.
Well, like I say, the Wii U will be compatible with the classic controller (which you hook up to a Wiimote). I already play the likes of Monster Hunter Tri and Xenoblade Chronicles that way on the Wii. It will be the same on the Wii U. The Wii U will be backwards compatible with the different Wii controllers.

dDave

V.I.P.
Well, like I say, the Wii U will be compatible with the classic controller (which you hook up to a Wiimote). I already play the likes of Monster Hunter Tri and Xenoblade Chronicles that way on the Wii. It will be the same on the Wii U. The Wii U will be backwards compatible with the different Wii controllers.
Ok so what you're saying is that you could potentially play a new smash bros game (given the layout of the game) with the classic controller? I've played Brawl with the Wiimote and just can't stand it.

I'm hoping that somebody will be smart enough to create an easy solution to making a gamecube controller that is recognized as a classic controller.

Looking at the design of the tablet controller, I think it's possible that it could work well for smash but if it needs to have the wiimote I won't like that. A smash game really only needs a joystick, trigger button, z button, a button, b button, x/y button, and c stick; it looks as if it has more than enough buttons that could be placed well..

Last edited:

Taliesin

Registered Member
Ok so what you're saying is that you could potentially play a new smash bros game (given the layout of the game) with the classic controller? I've played Brawl with the Wiimote and just can't stand it.
That's right. The classic controller would be used for the new Smash Brothers title in the same way the Gamecube controller was used for its earlier Smash Brothers title. And I agree with you; I played Smash Brothers with the Wiimote once and that just wasn't comfortable at all!

I'm hoping that somebody will be smart enough to create an easy solution to making a gamecube controller that is recognized as a classic controller.
I keep hoping for this too as the Gamecube controller was the most comfortable Nintendo controller I have ever used. It makes me wonder if the Wavebird will be able to be used with Wii U. Probably not though. They'll probably just make it backwards compatible with Wii controllers on.

Looking at the design of the tablet controller, I think it's possible that it could work well for smash but if it needs to have the wiimote I won't like that. A smash game really only needs a joystick, trigger button, z button, a button, b button, x/y button, and c stick; it looks as if it has more than enough buttons that could be placed well..
Apparently, the tablet controller will already be wireless, so it won't need a Wiimote to achieve that functionality. I'm happy about this because having to have a Wiimote attached to my classic controller can sometimes be a bit of a clunky set up depending on the game I'm playing.