• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The next 10 years of gaming evolution

Psyco

Food Whore
Honestly, computers really can't get much faster. The main problem that they have already hit is that the barrier of speed/heat (the faster the processor the more heat they give off, which severely limits the increase of speed)

Pretty much what i'm saying is that graphics will soon cease to keep getting better, unless they start doing immersion 3d, something along the lines of the virtual boy, if you will, or even the holodeck. The top of the line graphics cards are already able to display practically lifelike models, how does one get any better than that?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Honestly, computers really can't get much faster.
Actually, they can with new advancements in nanotechnology and "nanotransistors" that are just starting to be developed. Did you know they thought it was impossible to make a processor go over 3 GHz?

The top of the line graphics cards are already able to display practically lifelike models, how does one get any better than that?
The keyword there is practically. What about the environments that are sacrificed to make those characters, or the flesh tones and individual moving hairs? There's also frame rate problems still, and I believe that there's way more technology to be unlocked in terms of graphics.

Pianobone

Registered Member
I honestly think that in the next ten years, you will see games divide into two categories. There will always be an audience for the simpler, more basic distraction games like the original Mario Bros. or Solitaire on your PC. Those games are for the masses, merely a time-killer while you wait for your next appointment, etc.

The second class is the "gamer" class, where true fans are concerned with physics, graphics, gameplay, plot, etc. I think that in the future you will see a large boost in the 3D realm. I'm writing my senior thesis currently, and I am profiling DreamWorks, SKG from every aspect- financial, economic, publicity, stock trading, and more. One of the hot new technologies being developed is stereoscopic 3D. Think of the old blue/red glasses you had to wear for 3D flicks. Now think of those "Magic Eye" posters, where the images seem to jump out at you. Essentially combining these two technologies, stereoscopic 3D will allow users to view full 3D without the intervention of glasses or some other gimmick. Theaters will be retrofitted with multiple projectors and special polarized screens that will enable audience members to jump into the film, literally.

Now imagine taking all that theater technology and porting it into a video game console. Add in the technology that the Wii and other devices use and you can truly see yourself slashing away at villains, or running through a dense jungle to escape a predator. Imagine the Wii technology compacted into a wristbands / anklebands and a belt. Like a motion capture suit for CGI, the console literally captures your every move and moves the gaming world accordingly. Someone mentioned the Holodeck and we're certainly headed that way for sure.

Psyco

Food Whore
Actually, they can with new advancements in nanotechnology and "nanotransistors" that are just starting to be developed. Did you know they thought it was impossible to make a processor go over 3 GHz?
Hell, when the original computers were came out (and being the size of people's living rooms) they predicted that the future of computing would yeild one the size of the Empire State building. (They thought, as computers advanced, they would get larger and larger)

I can't get my hands on it at the moment, (for the sole reason that I've forgot the guy's name) but there is a famous paper that I'm essentially citing from, that speaks about the "upper limit" of speed for a processor. (NOTE: I'm not saying that its impossible to create faster processors, I'm just saying that they will give off so much damn heat, that computers will need to come with phase cooling units right off the bat.)

Dual/Tri/Quad/n-core processors are another story...

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with you Psyco. Processors are quickly moving to multi-core setups due to the fact that most people don't want to keep liquid nitrogen in their computer case. (Saw a cooling video of a 5Ghz CPU (overclocked) that had to be cooled with liquid notro. Didn't seem very logical to me.) :)

As for gaming, I agree with Piano. I predicted 3d movies in this thread and I don't see any reason why that technology wouldn't be used for gaming as well. Again, talking about actual 3d and not the "screen" 3d effect that we get today in games. Sure it's rendering different angles but your brain is simply thinking it is seeing 3d while actually only seeing 2d.

VonDutch

Registered Member
No time soon, but wont it be the virtual reality room. Where you just walk in and the computer reads your mind and displays the images you are thinking of

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
You are correct that computers of today are reaching their limit in terms of speed for the regular user, but as Scuba said there are advances in nanotechnologies that are currently being developed that will enable electronics to run as speeds that we can't even conceive of right now. Although I am not sure that they will be able to make processors faster than they are today, I do believe that they will get smaller and the computers of the future will come with multiple processors (10 or 15) that fit into the space of our current processors (About the size of a 50 cent piece).

But I guess we will just have to wait and see what the future holds.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Graphics will rapidly attempt to become as lifelike as possible.

The Nintendo DS and the Wii will begin an era of increased interaction with gaming. Expect more bodily movements to become incorporated into gaming.

And of course, sequels will march on. In terms of intellectual growth in gaming, I think it hasn't advanced much and will continue to stagnate, minus a few games that attempt to be artsy and draft legitamite artists and writers to improve their games.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Kazmarov said:
In terms of intellectual growth in gaming, I think it hasn't advanced much and will continue to stagnate
Just wait until The Critique of Pure Reason 3D hits store shelves. Only the fun will be imperative as you infer your way through 12 heart-pounding categories of phenomenal action! You play as Kant, who has just been awoken from his dogmatic slumber by David Hume, only to find the philosophical world torn apart in a war between rationalism and empiricism. Now there's nothing left to do but strap on your a priori and go synthetic on your intellectual rivals!

You won't believe your eyes when you go toe-to-toe with René Descartes and his evil demon. That's only the beginning, though, as John Locke will reduce you to a blank slate if you don't prove that your primary and secondary qualities are kicking ass! Finally, you'll face David Hume himself, but only if you can succeed in finding the missing shade of blue before he defeats pure reason once and for all. Show 'em that your reason is beyond critique, in The Critique of Pure Reason 3D.

Last edited:

JjCrazyboy

Registered Member
Well I think after Nintendo's success games are going to go into changing your input more then changing graphics. If you have noticed there has been a big jump between each game systems. Yet in case of the lst generation the new game play elements that are allowed by the jump forward becomes less and less. I personally do not need to see every zit and blemish on a computer animated character. I am looking forward to more immersive gameplay and changing ways of controlling games.