• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The next 10 years of gaming evolution

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is anyone else getting excited for the future of gaming? Think about just how much graphics alone have improved in the last 10 years. Games nowadays are almost as good looking as the special effects in Hollywood productions.

Honestly the biggest difference we will see from now until 10 years from now will not be primarily in visual quality, but quantity. Sure models will use more and more polygons to create an even more ultra-realistic feel, but environments will become more and more lifelike as well. I think the biggest area of gaming that is still lacking is map details and physics engines for things such as wind, water, plants, etc.

Imagine playing a game with water being rendered in real-time and acting like real water would. Splashing, draining, etc. I'm not just talking about a water level going down while an animation simulates water dripping. I'm talking about games that will actually be able to duplicate highly complex physics equations found in nature.

The last 10 years of gaming evolution may have been graphics oriented, but, I definitely think that the next 10 years will be more physics and environment oriented. The games we will be playing 10 years from now are going to be mind boggling and CPU frying for sure. Considering the fact that our processing speeds and capabilities will be so much more advanced by then it's hard to imagine just how cool games will be.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I have to agree with that. Most of the advances in graphics have come about because the speeds of computers and graphics cards having their own GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) onboard. As speeds on computers and GPUs increase we can only imagine just how far graphics will be able to go.

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
no kidding. I can't imagine where it all is going. I remember the very first time I entered into the world of online gaming. back in 1997 :lol:

I just remember being so completely impressed with EVERYTHING! and all the stuff you could do. It was like a real world on screen :lol: looking back at it now, it was pretty primitive to what is going on now with graphics and stuff. but back then I was like. WOW! can it get any better than this? hehehe :cool:

huenemeca

I am looking forward to more interaction with other gamers. Like the online stuff but I am sure it can become more interactive.

Delinquent

Registered Member
True visuals have moved on in leaps and bounds and most likely will continue to do so, but... im not all that impressed been in my 20s i remember when the quality of game play was a factor to players and makers but sadly that is slowly going for more visual efforts rather than a strong game. What disappoints me is that teens and younger today settle for sub par quality thinking a games good.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's a good point. I don't like games that have great graphics and no replay value, let alone first play value..

The games I was thinking of when I made this thread are games that have both though. Great graphics and great gameplay. Lately the game I've been playing is Battlefield 2142 which looks amazing and is easily one of the top three first person shooters I've ever played.

MegaMike

Registered Member
I'm looking forward to more original and fun games rather than prettier games. Spore is a good example of a very creative, and hopefully fun game. Maybe we will actually get to play it sometime in our lives...

Better technology will allow for more creative and fun games, however. For instance, the physics system of Half-Life 2 is great fun, and just wouldn't have been possible a decade ago.

Soboredtoday

i am very excited to see what new systems will be around in the next ten years, they are gonna be absolutly amazing..

Imagimason

My hope is ten years from now gaming will cease being a business. Thus, there will be one virtual reality(not jack-in) console where you are floating in a pod you have a neural headset and it sends brain signals to the game and back to you. Thus, you could feel the gun and feel the cold hard sting of a gunshot would(suppressed of course. we don't want people dying...) Also, these consoles would let you say a general game idea and procedurally generate that game for you. No more saying "That game would be awesome" because you could just make it yourself. You could be as specific or as general as you want. Than you could upload your games on to the internet and people could download it.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I think that in the next ten years (two more generations, by the way) at least one of the big three right now will have dropped off of the face of the Earth, or gone to making just games. Also, graphics will be as close to lifelike as you can get, there will be little to no frame rate problems, and the environments will be so spectacular that it will take 10 years of manpower just to code it.