The New Stereotype: Heightism

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by SuiGeneris, May 20, 2009.

1. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Now, everyone knows of racism, sexism, classism, and idiocy-ism. However, recent studies have shown that there is perhaps one more disabling stereotype in America and around the world: heightism.

The first time I heard this phrase was about two years ago in my freshmen pyschology class. We had to do our final paper; and I wanted to do something different. After looking around for a bit ( a LONG bit) I started finding literature on this so called "heightism." It's pretty interesting to me, seeing as I'm 5'6, and have been passed up many times for sports [and other things] because of my heighth. So I figured I'd read on it and write a report.

Some facts about "heightism:"

Now I do have more, but i just wanted to give you guys a little bit to look at. All in once source format to make it even easier.

Anyway: My question to you. Do you believe Heightism is a true concern in American [and other countries]? Is there a true discrimination or are the statistics just simple coincidence. Maybe the PR world is getting a head of itself?

What do you think? (I'll respond later with my own thoughts.)

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It's not a concern, it's just a biological and social phenomena. As animals, we look for strong, tough, tall, or reliable mates. That translates into all sorts of things once our animal side runs through our human (social) side. Some people will like guys with big muscles, fast cars, high paying jobs, or tall guys. Just like guys will like women with big hips, big breasts, or who are shorter. A lot of reasons are both biological as well as social. I'm personally getting sick of all the "isms" in this country. It's like we need something to be angry about all the time.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Ive seen it also. I'm 5'10" and I've been passed up or sized up by coaches in the past because of my height rather than my ability. So yeah I can definitely see how that can lead to an obvious form of prejudice.

I'm not going to say its a serious pandemic, but I will say that more often than not when you look at sports, you wont see to many guys shorter than 5'11". I mean honestly, I can only think of a select few, and the funniest thing is now that I think about it. Announcers will always bring up things like "the Five foot Eight Martin St. Louis is playing like a big man tonight!"

hahaha seriously though... think about if an announcer said something like "wow, look at labron james, he's gone ape shit out there" :hah: The media would have his testicles in a vice so fast!

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I've read about it and seen it also, I'm 6'0" and sometimes feel I get an unfair advantage because of it, not that I'm complaining:p

I think people do favor taller people and discriminate against shorter people, but as Cons said, it's a biological phenomena.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Just because we're prone as a society to advantage taller men due to some unconscious primitive impulse, doesn't mean it's not a good idea to point out such biases, so that they can be consciously countered. For something to be natural and/or the status quo, does not make it good or a non-issue.

6. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

The Rwanda thing is amazing.

I've often wondered what it would be like being not as tall. I am 6-1. I guess it would be no big deal day to day and would be compatible to some of my physical qualities that are flawed. Not that being shorter is a flaw - its just that I never even think about some things about me that others might notice.

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Interesting reads. I checked the wiki page and also got a Time article about it. I used to think the whole advantage given to tall people was linked to racism, the tall white man being the favored (superior) image. So that's what I had in mind when I heard about the Rwanda genocide. Then there's also the colonial mentality. In the land of short tan people (hello barbie) when they're colonised by tall white people, a certain level of inferior-superior complex was established until it has been implanted that tall (and white) is better.

However, it won't explain why in a place where everyone is white there's still a discrepancy between treatment of people according to height. For example, the studies about the relationship between bullying and height. Then a sociologist is also exploring the heightism subject mentions how it's highly present so much that it's ignored. Questions like "how tall are you?" instead of "what is your height" or negative connotations with the term short (I don't buy the implication of the latter that much).

Anyway, personally, you know I felt the whole issue about heightism in employment. It sucks. I can imagine when a specific height requirement was necessary to be operational or for safety reasons, but other than that, it just leaves me asking "why?".

8. DLFerguson

DLFerguson Registered Member

Being 6' 4" has actually been an advantage when it comes to women as they're immediately drawn to my height. I asked my wife Patricia what was the first thing she noticed about me and she said; "You were TALL!" The intelligence and charm came later:lol:

But it's a drawback as well because I've gotten into fights with men around five feet who wanted to fight me for no other reason than I was taller than them. And I also dislike the fact that simply because I'm 6'4" and black people assume I'm great at basketball. I'm probably the worst basketball player you'll ever meet but I'll royally kick yer ass at tennis and handball/racketball.