The new ECW: Successful or Fail?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I was wodnering what were your thoughts on the new ECW, was it successful meaning it gave younger guys to shine or was it a fail in your eyes.

Please don't compare it to the old ECW, because we pretty knew it wouldn't be like that for the most part when it got brought back.

2. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

There is no way you could compare it to the old ECW anyway. And for me it was a failure because it went totally against everything the old ECW stood for.

3. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I think it was definitely closer to fail than success. It was made for the purpose of creating stars and i don't think it managed to do that effectively enough to be called a success.

The main problem was: Nobody watched it! So even if younger stars were very impressive in ECW and managed ot get over with the ECW crowd, they might come to RAW and the crowd would be thinking "who the hell is this guy?".

Two very good things that did come out of ECW were CM Punk and Miz & Morrison. Whereas these are two great assets to WWE, CM Punk was a star worldwide before signing with WWE and Morrison was already an intercontinental champion before going to ECW so he was already established and Miz owes his success to being teamed with Morrison. So they weren't "created" by ECW in the way that i think most people expected stars to be.

Then we have Sheamus who started out in ECW before being catapulted to WWE Champion. The thing about Sheamus' push though was... You look at it and you think, was his time in ECW really necessary? In fact it might have damaged him if anything. If he was used on RAW destroying local jobbers for a few months then people might have seen him as a threat and a more legitimate champion. Instead he ran through the ECW roster for a while and then won the WWE Championship while people were still wondering "who the hell is this guy?". So while Sheamus may have been "created" in ECW, i don't think it helped his push on the RAW brand at all.

Also as a final point, people were very excited about the "new breed" when ECW first started out, and i think the success of the new breed epitomises ECW in general: one success story (CM Punk) but multiple failures (Elijah Burke, Marcus Von Cor, Kevin Thorn, Ariel and, in wrestling terms, Matt Striker). While ECW was an entertaining show and all, i think on the whole it failed at creating new WWE talent.

4. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

Don't forget about Kofi Kingston and the jury is still out on Jack Swagger as well.

This version of ECW was fine. It wasn't put in place for it to be compared to the old ECW. It was an old school show. The gimmicks were fine and the storylines were simple. There were times I enjoyed it more then the other shows because they kept things easy going and to the point.

Do I think it was a success? Nah. Do I think it was a failure? No way.

5. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

I totally agree with ya! Kofi Kingston is a great wrestler and Jack Swagger I think is better than Kingston, all and all...ECW wasn't good but it didn't suck either.