The new beer & alcohol thread

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Look for scotch tastings. You can usually try a half a dozen or more scotches and find ones you like. Once you find one or two you like, I can suggest others in that same vein.

I've gotten very good at knowing my scotches. My friend and I get together every week and have at least one. Whoever pours makes the other one guess the region, the age and the distillery. We both have large collections and it is interesting to try and guess what you are drinking.

Personally, I take a small sip and then add a few drops of water. This usually results in a flavor and bouquet explosion. if the whisky is cask strength, I usually add quite a bit more water, since some cask bottles are 120 proof.

ice dulls flavor as does cold, so room temp water is best for tasting.

If you like drinking on the rocks, by all means, drink it that way. But when at a tasting, try just a little water.
I’ve been known to sit and drink scotch with a couple friends from time to time. Really nice ambiance to it.

I drink the stuff very slowly. Have tried a lot of different varieties though admittedly I’m not good at telling the difference.

My favorite hard liquor though? Bourbon, Woodford specifically.

Impaired

Registered Member
BEER SAVES LIVES!!!

In a whole new twist on stomach pumping, doctors in Quang Tri, Vietnam, saved 48-year-old Nguyen Van Nhat's life in January by transfusing 15 cans of beer INTO his stomach. As Dr. Le Van Lam explained to the Daily Mail, alcohol contains both methanol and ethanol, and the liver breaks down ethanol first. But after a person stops drinking, the stomach and intestines continue to release alcohol into the bloodstream -- even if the drinker has lost consciousness -- and alcohol levels continue to rise. In Nhat's case, upon arrival at the hospital, his blood methanol level was 1,119 times higher than the appropriate limit. Doctors administered one can of beer every hour to slow down his metabolizing of methanol, which gave them time to perform dialysis. Nhat spent three weeks in the hospital before returning home. [Daily Mail, 1/16/2019]

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
BEER SAVES LIVES!!!

In a whole new twist on stomach pumping, doctors in Quang Tri, Vietnam, saved 48-year-old Nguyen Van Nhat's life in January by transfusing 15 cans of beer INTO his stomach. As Dr. Le Van Lam explained to the Daily Mail, alcohol contains both methanol and ethanol, and the liver breaks down ethanol first. But after a person stops drinking, the stomach and intestines continue to release alcohol into the bloodstream -- even if the drinker has lost consciousness -- and alcohol levels continue to rise. In Nhat's case, upon arrival at the hospital, his blood methanol level was 1,119 times higher than the appropriate limit. Doctors administered one can of beer every hour to slow down his metabolizing of methanol, which gave them time to perform dialysis. Nhat spent three weeks in the hospital before returning home. [Daily Mail, 1/16/2019]
Stupidly awesome. Gotta love science!